Author Topic: beech stave  (Read 3211 times)

Offline tgr

beech stave
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:56:55 pm »
Any thoughts or experience making a bow out of beech? I live in Orange County, NY
Thanks ahead for any comments

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: beech stave
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:16:11 pm »
Beech will make a decent Bow....it's specific gravity is between Red Oak....and White Oak...it runs between .56 and .64...depending on the Moisture Content....I would shoot for a Bow with a width of 1 5/8" to 2" Limbs...tapering gradually in the last 12 to 14 inches to 3/4" to 3/8" Tips......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 11:15:13 am »
doesnt beech cause cancer or something?  I think I remember reading that somewhere so be careful...  josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:38:02 am »
      My granddady use to call them indain umbelas  because lighting won't strike them.
     I built a bow 66"s,55#"s at 27"S I think about 20 years ago.Backed it with rawhide.I talked to the guy about 5 or 6 years later and he told me he still shot and hunted with some.And it was still like the day I made it.Same poundage and and an inck of string follow if I remember right thats what it had when I gave it to him.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:11:02 pm »
doesnt beech cause cancer or something?  I think I remember reading that somewhere so be careful...  josh

I doubt very much if Beech is a Carcinogen....Unless maybe if you live in California....since everything is known to cause Cancer there....... >:D

The Beechnuts are edible ....and Budweiser uses Beech Wood in their Brewing Process...and the Germans use Beech Wood to Smoke and Dry their Hops in their Beers....and Others use the Wood to Smoke Their Cheeses
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 12:42:29 pm »
cool I guess you shouldnt believe everything you read then huh?   ::)   ;)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline tgr

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 04:27:48 pm »
Thanks for all the response. How about thickness of the bow.  Any ideas.  I'd rather work with a thinner  bow and not as wide. Also, I'll try not to smoke it.  TR

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 04:49:08 pm »
cool I guess you shouldnt believe everything you read then huh?   ::)   ;)  -josh

well not everything...just information from California lol.

I remember a "study" saying reusing plastic water bottles is harmful to your health lol.

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 07:06:33 pm »

well not everything...just information from California lol.

I remember a "study" saying reusing plastic water bottles is harmful to your health lol.

lol

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 08:19:04 pm »
I read the same thin in TBB#4. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tgr

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:21:05 pm »
What do you mean George, the plastic bottles or beech stave? tr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:31:34 pm »
Tim Baker in the beginning of Vol 4 listed some of the hazards of working with different woods. American beech was one of them. I think it said that it could cause eye cancer. I'll check it later. Getting tired now. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!