Author Topic: fletching flu-flu arrows in the traditional spiral way  (Read 13956 times)

Offline scp

fletching flu-flu arrows in the traditional spiral way
« on: January 17, 2010, 01:04:26 am »
I'm attempting to make some flu-flu arrows fletched in the traditional spiral way. I have found a couple of good webpages; still things are not as clear as I hope them to be.

"One direction the feather will flare up almost straight from the shaft (see the illustration) Wrapped in the other direction, the feather will have a decided lean and kind of lay towards the shaft. You want the direction that causes the feather to stand straight up."
tradgang.com/flu-flu/

"If you are using left wing feathers, the spiral will helix anti-clockwise down the arrow shaft and vice versa."
africanarcher.com/fluflu.htm

If I'm wrapping a right wing feather going from the nock side to the point side and looking at the arrow same way, am I supposed to wrap the feather clockwise? (I think so, but I want to be sure.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:09:59 am by Justin Snyder »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: fletching flu-flu arrows in the traditional spiral way
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 01:13:19 am »
They are looking at it from the nock end. If you look at it from the tip, just reverse. right viewed from front = counter clockwise
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline scp

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:16:48 am »
I'm looking at it from the nock end. So, clockwise is correct?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:30:40 am »
Wrap the feather so that the dull side is toward the front of the arrow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 01:38:27 am »
Yes, sorry you mentioned point and I got confused. What Steve said makes it easier to remember though.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline scp

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:39:04 am »
Another question. In the first webpage, two feathers are fletched in series. But in the second webpage, it appears that three feathers are all fletched in the same section of the arrow, just like the regular three fletch but in tight spiral. I think I will do it the latter way but use just two full-length feathers. Which way do you do it and why?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 01:42:41 am »
You can see from the pictures that there are many different ways of doing it. It usually comes down to personal preference.

SW Utah

Offline scp

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 01:45:58 am »
Wrap the feather so that the dull side is toward the front of the arrow.

Thank you. That appears to be the better way to say it and learn it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 01:58:32 am »
The full spiral feathers will stop the arrow quicker. I use them to shoot(at) squirrels and they do fine. They go about 20 yards before they put on the brakes. A three fletch straight or helical flu flu will go a lot farther(50 to 60 yards).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 12:27:08 pm »
Pat, the ones he is talking about aren't the full length uncut with a slight helicoil, they are three full length wrapped 3 times around the shaft.

scp, If you cut the barbs off about 1/4" of the shaft on the front and the back you can tie them on the back by wrapping a piece of thread around the shaft. then wrap the feather around the shaft and tie the front. This will allow you to see what the finished shaft will look like with 2 or 3 feathers. When you decide what you like you can redo with glue.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 12:41:04 pm »
Three full length feathers in a spiral flu flu is overkill IMO. One full feather spiral flu flu will stop the arrow close enough.   Probably the thing to do is try each style and see which one works best for your situation.   If I were duck hunting or pheasant hunting I would opt for one or the other types that allow the arrow to go farther before putting on the brakes. I like a spiral flu flu for the short range shoot I use them for.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 01:31:28 pm »
I do my Flu Flu's in many different patterns...some are Straight...some are Spiral...and others are small sections that wrap straight around the Shafts...they are slow down the Arrows well...but the small sectioned that wrap around the Shaft slow them down the best for Aerial Shots...JMO

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline scp

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 06:27:02 pm »
El Destructo, they are beautiful. How about some side views?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 06:31:17 pm »
Forget the side view, we want a buildalong.  ;D

SW Utah

Offline scp

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 06:31:59 pm »
Justin Snyder and Pat B, thanks. I will just glue on a full-length feather and see how it flies tomorrow.