Author Topic: Hitting Them Like Howard, Video discussion  (Read 4802 times)

Offline zeNBowyer

Hitting Them Like Howard, Video discussion
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:37:46 pm »
For  anybody  who  has  read the  book  or  watched the  video,  wanted  to  see   if there  was any  interest  in discussing this  work, by  his  longtime  friend   and student  John Schultz, who  looks  to  be  quite a  fine  shot  also, anybody  shooting  aspirin  out  of the  air always  gets  my vote:)

zeNBowyer
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline The Singing Bowyer

Re: Hitting Them Like Howard, Video discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:49:13 am »
I found the video helpful...never read his book. John is one of the few people to receive personal training from Howard, so he does do it like Howard:) I thought he had some good points...shoulder to the target...slightly bent elbow. Of some of the different method videos, I would say his one of teh better ones for me personally... ;)
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:23:13 pm »
I liked it. It's not exactly the best, as some of the points are highly debateable (sp?), but all in all it was informative and helpful- and entertaining :)

Offline Traxx

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 01:49:42 am »
It's not exactly the best, as some of the points are highly debateable

Would you care to expand on this any?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:26:03 pm »
Sure. First, Shulz tells you to bend your arm on purpose. EVen though he himself keeps his arm pretty straight. It's best when your arm is straight but not locked. Second, he tells to use a firm grip- well, even Howard wrote to use just enough grip to keep the bow from flying out of your hand. Tight grips are bad, and lead to unecessary tension in your hand and arm. Lastly is the dead release. Beginner's shouldn't be told to keep their hand glued in place, because that can lead to collapsing of back tension. The truth is, he and Hill just minimize their rearward movement as much as possible.

Again, all these things can be done and work beautifully (I mean, these guys are more than a little successful!) but the average person might be hindrered trying to recreate these tecniques (like me ;D).

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 10:32:46 pm »
 Kegan, that almost reminds me when I was teaching Karate. I almost had to say "do as I say, not as you see me do". Then I had to explain that I knew the proper way but I still had bad habits, too. But with my experiance I could correct bad habits very fast and more efficient then the student when I was applieing them. That's why I keep training, might lose those habits one day ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 02:19:04 am »
I tend to see it like this. I don't copy anyone's style. I read and watch and adopt some techniques if they work when I shoot. But I won't copy any one person's style because every person is different. I got a lot of good techniques from Instinctive Shooting from G. Fred Asbell. But during shooting, you'll learn yourself what works and what doesn't. I did what the army told me during BRM when the drill sergeants were watching. And, true, I learned new techniques I put into practice. But on qualification, I used what works for me and scored 38 out of 40---Expert. And maintained that qualification my entire stint.
Living a dream...

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 02:17:11 pm »
My biggest problem when I started was I couldn't really see myself shooting so I tried to do what I read or heard, without knowing what that actually meant :D.

Wound up giving me alot of trouble that way ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 02:44:25 pm »
My biggest problem when I started was I couldn't really see myself shooting so I tried to do what I read or heard, without knowing what that actually meant :D.

Wound up giving me alot of trouble that way ;D
;D ;D ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah