Author Topic: Schlock jock rocks a nock knot.  (Read 5019 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Schlock jock rocks a nock knot.
« on: January 20, 2010, 03:57:48 pm »
I've got a character stave that I'm preparing to tiller.  I've left the tips wide until later on when I can confidently decide how to narrow them to align the string over the handle, and I don't want to cut nocks until I get to that point.  So I was wondering to myself if there wasn't some (easy) way of tying the long string without any nock cutting, and I ended up combining a "figure 8" (not sure if I'm misnaming it or not) with a timber hitch self-locking principle, and this is what I got:

A few firm tugs confirmed that it will hold (I think).

So I thought I'd explain how to do it in case anybody might find it useful.

Start with your simple granny knot with an extra twist.

Gently snug it up until the two loops of the figure 8 appear.

Expand those two loops so they'll comfortably fit over your tips.

Snug it up a bit with the string and tail on the belly side.

Wrap the tail over the end of the stave, over the first loop, and under the second.

And you're done!

I think (without having tried it) that one could brace a bow this way by tying the knot down with the tail lock off the side, then sliding the works to the tip until the tail lock can be flipped over the end.  Haven't tried it with waxed dacron or FF yet though...

Thanks for looking!

Don't knock....                                                                                                                        the nock knot...                                                                                                                                 
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Schlock jock rocks a nock knot.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 04:06:16 pm »
I forgot to mention that one could tie the knot with the string doubled over, then there'd be 2 strings over the end, and 4 loops to weave them through for greater security.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 05:18:40 pm »
I think I could make that knot work for me!  Thanks for posting that tip. 

By the way, I think you got your work cut out for you tillering that bow, keep us "in the loop" (like that pun, didja?) and post more pics as it is finished.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 08:15:52 pm »
 I never passed Tinderfoot in Scouts because of knots. I can slot wood easier. :P
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:12:21 pm »
That's pretty cool, thanks for posting.  Nice pictures, too!
1’—>1’

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:14:58 pm »
Looks like a good way to get a Knot on your noggin to me, two leather boots work real well, and no fancy knot's.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:27:11 pm »
Thanks JW & Parnell!

mullet, I'm pretty knot-unsavvy myself, but lately I've taken an interest.  Especially since I started tying a $2000 canoe to my car.  Never really thought about cutting slots in the car, though...

Dano, I feel the same way myself.  Tillering tree from a distance with a long rope for now at least!

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:46:55 am »
To knot or not to knot? That is the question. :D ;D
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 12:06:20 pm »
This is what knot to do :D            Would these be considered knock knot jokes ::)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 01:45:52 pm »
Not to knock the chock-a-block nock knot jokes, guys, but can we not mock the nock knot?  :P

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »
 Say that ten times real fast. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 05:21:13 pm »
Cool knot Zen..Looks like you got yourself a good stave. Another peice of chokecherry?
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 11:08:26 pm »
mullet, I could hardly type it one time slowly. ::)

Leroy, yes it is another chokecherry, it's the one thing that's REAL easy to find, and since I've broken one already, I have a better chance at making it work rather than starting with a new wood.  Wishful thinking probably...  Say, how's yours coming along?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 10:27:58 am »
It's coming limited time.Got a little twist on the top limb gonna have to get it fixed
Just about ready for the short string..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Innocente

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:02:19 am »
hey thanks zen, i just tried this knot, it works great!

i have been tying a bowline...any idea how hard it is to retie a new bowline 10x as i figure out the exact string length i need?