Author Topic: Authentic Ojibwa Bows  (Read 24934 times)

Offline II BYRDS

Authentic Ojibwa Bows
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:38:26 am »
Hey All...

I think I asked this once before  ??? I looked back in old post and could not find. So this Feb/Mar issue of PA has a ottawa bow, which the Ottawa fall under the Ojibwa. is this bow an Authentis Ojibwa bow, i seem not to be able to find any pics on an authentic Ojibwa bow. so if anyone can help would be great.

IIByrds

Offline Dauntless

Re: Authentic Ojibwa Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:58:51 am »
Search around here: http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/north_public/north_public.htm

I'm assuming bow styles varied quite a bit within the Ojibwa though.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

half eye

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 11:03:06 am »
The Ojibwa and Odawa are not the same bands at all. Their bows were completely different. The Odawa (ottawa) and the Ojibwa (chippewa) and the Potawatomy were trides making up the Three Fires Confederacy. The confussion comes from the whites calling everybody in the Great Lakes region Ojibwa.
      I have attached a photo of a Ojibwa bow here so you can see the difference. Odawa and Potawatomy used mostly "D" bows (bend through the handle and were scalloped both sides and single sided respectively. The Ojibwa had rigid handles and slightly stiff tips. The Potawatomy bows are well documented and I believe they are in one of the volumes of the "Encyclopedea of bows" and look somewhat like the Odawa but the scallops are only down one side.
half eye ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 12:17:16 pm »
Here is another Ojibwa Bow.......

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 12:46:17 pm »
The OP said:  ...the Ottawa fall under the Ojibwa. 

Don't tell that to a Ottawa or an Ojibway!!!  You'll have a fight on your hands!
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:05:42 pm »
I am 1/4 Ojibwa...and I am not Offeneded..but then I am getting used to People talking without thinking....or investigating....at least He picked two Tribes from the same Region...with similar cultures...and all Anishinaabeg
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline II BYRDS

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:16:48 pm »
i have been studying the Anishanabe for the past five years and going to lodge meetings here localy with a group of folks that do speak Ojibwa. my name is IIBYRDS or Niizh Bineshii in Ojibwa. thanks El Destructo i am not here to Offened anyone Thanks  IIbyrds.
Back to the bow thing thanks for all the input. i will be back

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:15:27 pm »
No Offence taken........ ;).....as for Authentic Pictures...get  The Encyclopedia of NAtive American Bows, Arrow and Quivers vol.1
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 02:21:38 pm »
I think he was saying that they are from the same larger linguistic group and that generally means fairly close ties for tribes living reasonably close together
  Like saying Seneca and Mohawk fall under the same group.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 02:44:22 pm »
I know exactly what He was saying.....Others may have been mistaken...the Odawa....Ojibwa.... Potawatomi are parts of the Council of Three Fires....other Anishinaabe are the Nipissing....Mississauga....and Algonkin Tribes...I don't know where the Idea came from that the Odawa...and the Ojibwa didn't get along came from...They are not one and the Same...but are not Enemies either...because in the Copper Country...Baraga to be exact... in Upper Michigan...they are mixed on the same Reservation...and not by Law...but by choice.....

The Ojibwe and Ottawa Indians are members of a longstanding alliance also including the Potawatomi tribe..... Called the Council of Three Fires..... this alliance was a powerful one which fought against the Iroquois Confederacy and the Sioux.... Though one Ottawa band was relocated to Oklahoma where they remain today... most Ottawa people live on reservations on their traditional lands in Michigan and Ontario.

Here is another Bow......

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:52:47 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome

half eye

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 02:49:35 pm »
Pat
     That is spot on, The people who study Native Americans divide them by language families

half eye

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 03:00:04 pm »
ElDestructo
       I agree with you that is what I said that these three tribes were a confederacy (allies) and I'm sure that I did not say these peoples were enemies...quite the contrary....heck the only group in Michigan that gets things confussed would be Huron...they are Iriqouian by langauge group but at various times were allied with the Iriqouis and then the Ojibwa (I'm not completely clear on how many times they changed sides but for sure at least once.)
half eye ;)

Offline II BYRDS

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 03:02:45 pm »
if my little pea brain remembers correctly.  the three fires ???? came from the the east coast the mouth of the st lawrence river area beacause they where told that they needed to move inland do to some great white being was coming this was like hundreds of years ago. so they moved west and come to a great lake and then split up one went north one went south and one went west. ojibwa where the older bothers, odawa where next born and potawatami where the younger bothers. (the anishanabe where first man)

i did not know that i was going to start the history of the three fires.

so please get back to bows.

Thanks IIbyrds  

Offline II BYRDS

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 03:08:07 pm »
nice pics El Destructo now are they both Ojibwa style bows ???  Half eye the one thats on the right looks to be like the Ottawa or Odawa bow in the PA this month only scalaped on one side not both ??????

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 03:55:04 pm »
ElDestructo
       I agree with you that is what I said that these three tribes were a confederacy (allies) and I'm sure that I did not say these peoples were enemies...quite the contrary....half eye ;)

HalfEye....wasn't meant for you!! Look for the Post thats in RED..........I agree with what you stated totally
2024...We Will Overcome