Author Topic: Sycamore limb?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline KShip85

Sycamore limb?
« on: January 22, 2010, 06:53:27 pm »
I cut this sycamore limb today and am trying to decide what can be done with it.  I am planning on using the bottom half and hoping for it to bend back in to reflex as it dries.  My one experience with sycamore had the split run off the side when I went to split it, so I am wondering if it is better to bandsaw it in two rather than split.  Also, is it possible to leave the bark on since it is so thin and seemingly flexible?  If so I'd like to leave it for the look.  Haven't measured for sure but it is close to 6 feet or so if you follow the bend.  Thanks for the help!

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Sycamore limb?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:58:07 pm »
Don't know much on how to tell you to go about making the bow but the bark will most likely come off as it dries. I've got some blocks of sycamore to make natural edge bowls from and the edges of the bark are starting to lift off.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 10:05:32 pm »
Kip...the Bark on Sycamore will pop off just  like the Bark on Vine maple does as it is worked into a Bow...so my answer to you is split it...debark it...and seal it all up...I like working Sycamore and have made several working Bows from it with no problems so far....as for the Twist...once you split it...and debark it....and the Shellac is dry....clamp it to something to keep it from twisting up on you...if it is already twisted...steam it and clamp it down to pull it out while it is still wet...this isn't a large stave ...so it should not be too hard to pull the twist from it
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ohma

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:08:38 pm »
what would sycamore compare too. is it close to ash or a fruitwood say pesr or apple?
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.