Author Topic: Mini-PA Forum Convention in Louisiana  (Read 13557 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Mini-PA Forum Convention in Louisiana
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 04:45:59 pm »
 Now that looks like a good time,  all kidding aside I think I'd still lay my money on the short Yoda looking scrapper in the middle. >:D

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 06:45:52 pm »
well i wish yoda coudla stayed around to show me what the heck to do with this bucket of rocks (no mine, i will not send it to anyone so they can "do away with it"  ;D) im scared to mess with it cuz im gunna screw it up.  :-\
lets just shoot it

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 08:51:06 pm »
Now what kinda of attitude is that didn't yoda say "There is no try, do or do not or I'll whoop yer big ol butt" >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 11:35:13 pm »
Now what kinda of attitude is that didn't yoda say "There is no try, do or do not or I'll whoop yer big ol butt" >:D

;D fair enough.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 11:38:44 pm »
 Ohhh, goodness gracious. Listen to the excuses. Rock is made to be broken,,, and made sharp. ;) You need to take Keith up on the offer to sit down with a knapper to save you a learning curve. And, yea, Yoda could probally still kick your butt, forgot you were only 16. ;D ;)

Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 12:42:25 am »

Watch out Recurve, Eddie will whip out a can of Spinach, and do sum arse whoopin! :o  ;D  P.S. has Kieth explained who Popeye, Wimpy, and Brutus are yet? ::)

Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 10:21:57 am »
Ohhh, goodness gracious. Listen to the excuses. Rock is made to be broken,,, and made sharp. ;) You need to take Keith up on the offer to sit down with a knapper to save you a learning curve. And, yea, Yoda could probally still kick your butt, forgot you were only 16. ;D ;)

im gunna go meet that knapper when i can, but the next two weekends are girlfriend time. And im 17, but grandpa showed me a long time ago that you old coo....er...middle aged gentlemen, aint exactly as frail as people think.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 11:29:15 pm »
 I forgot you had to go to your Birthday party that night.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 11:55:08 pm »

That's right Recurve Shooter, I think your Grandfather would agree with this old saying,  " Never pick a fight with an old man.  He just might be too old to fight, so he'll just up and kill you! " :o  Well take your Girlfriend with you to the knapper.  She just might get interested in it.  Or at least seeing you cut yourself silly, till you learn to use the leather, pads, and gloves, but still you will get cut now and then.  Just goes with the territory.  Just a few nights ago, I jammed the end of a piece of obsidian under my right thumb nail  :o :'(......I can't quite remember the phrase I used, but was something similar to the one I used last night, when I was feeling really proud of myself, and getting a nice knife blade percussion thinned down enough to pressure Knapp, when the front 3/4's fell off.  >:(  Oh, you will develop a new vocabulary along with this addiction. ;) Yes, but indeed you will......  ::)  It would be best if your Girlfriend is not around, or small children, or women...... ;)  But go see that guy as soon as possible.

Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 12:12:52 am »
stickbender, these are words of a wise man. i was messin around today and cut the snot out of my left middle finger, and when that finally quit bleeding, i went back at it and drove a flake straight into my palm.  :-\ that was the end of that day's knapping, cuz it hurt my palm to put pressure on it, and my finger hurt to hold the pice to the pad, lol.

and i think im gunna steal your old man fight quote.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline stickbender

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 12:28:39 am »

Recurve Shooter, you are welcome to the quote.  It wasn't mine in the first place.  Well it seems you are already addicted.  You cut yourself, and then went back, and gave more blood to the Lithic Gods.  If you are messing with Obsidian, be VERY CAREFUL!!!! it will cut you without you knowing it.  And the main culprit, will be a small flake stuck in the pad.  Always make sure you clear the pad.  You suddenly notice the rock is slick, or your hands are sticky, and are reddish..... :o  Yep, done cut yourself, and you did not know it.  It is that sharp!  I have cut myself real well, and did not know it, till I noticed my hand was wet......  ::)It will cut so quick, that you will bleed yesterday! :o  But try not to get too impatient.  Get with the knapper, and you will avoid making too much gravel, and learn a whole lot more a whole lot faster.

Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 10:28:24 am »
 ;D thats what i was thinkin. i took a shard of that obsidian and was messin around testing the edge, cuts cardboard like nuthin's there, thats for sure. ive seen the microscope images of a flake of obsidian compared to a surgon's scaple. now thats scary.
lets just shoot it

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 06:17:25 pm »

Yes indeed, Recurve, sharpest material known to man.  When an edge is only one molecule thick, that is sharp. ;)

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 09:25:29 pm »
 Well, Trey, It sounds like you are running some flakes, anyway. ;D That green glass can spoil you. I wish I had left a piece in my truck now. I went and bought three glass plates from Wally Mart today to knap. It turned out to be some crappy glass, it just wants to shatter.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 10:18:09 am »
lol its not spoiling me. im not used to haveing to thin something down. most of the whiskey and gin bottles i have been useing were already thie right thickness. i got one really ugly point and a cut up left hand, but thats about it so far.  :'(
lets just shoot it