Author Topic: Tiller Check please  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Yokut

Tiller Check please
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:54:32 pm »
This is my second bow, well third if ya count the last one I snapped! The first one I made was for my daughter and this one is for my 10 yr old son. It's made of NW Maple and measures 50" and 14lbs at 20". I think I'm getting close but could use some advice to finish it up (and hopefully not snap this one too!). I've still got to narrow the tips down. Currently it's backed with silk and hope to finish it with a snake skin per request.
Any and all help appreciated. - Yokut

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Keenan

Re: Tiller Check please
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:48 am »
 Yokut,
 Looks like a slight hinge trying to start on the right limb about 6-8 inches out from the fade. Also has a fairly straight mid libs. I would stay away from the fades and get the mid limbs bending a little more.  Just be sure to avoid the spot on the right limb.

Offline Yokut

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:34:37 am »
thanks, yeah I have been trying to stay away from the beginnings of that hinge on the right limb. I was wondering two things. Should I continue tillering the mid limbs BEFORE I taper down the tips/limb from the current width of 1 and 3/8ths to 1,4" ? And/or if I just taper the tips/limbs down if I'll even need to continue to tiller? What do you guys think my course of action should be?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:39:36 am »
Lets see a Profile of the Bow...so We can see the Limb Layout...that will help us decide what to do next...but what ever you do...I would leave Both limbs alone from the fades to about 8-10 inches out...that left Limb is nearly as bad as the right
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Yokut

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 02:03:20 am »
if I understand you right this is the view you wanted to see. I was under the assumption that once I narrowed the width that the limbs would bend more towards the tips giving me a nice bell shaped curve. Is that a good assumption or am I way off?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:22:31 am »
What Kennan said, :)and I think he wants to see the side profile.How much set has it taken ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:37:15 am »
What they said mark. Mid limbs need more work. same places I marked up when out there. doesnt look like you took much off them or got them bending much more yet.

BUT. .. you are correct you can accomplish that bending in the mid limb to outer limbs by narrowing up the width of the bow limbs rather than taking the wood off the belly.

so yea I would narrow up the bow midlimb to tip now to get the bow working out there.

In future bows....
I like to establish the bending in mid to outer limb before I get the fade area and inner limb bending. seems to limit set for me.

Looks good tho. JR will love it no matter what and UR learning....
keep at it.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:04:44 am »
yep, get it moving a bit more from the breadmaker on out. :) 'bout the same place on the other limb too.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:11:54 am »
Yokut, what is the final draw length you are aiming for? Its looking good.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Yokut

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 12:14:15 am »
since it's a kid's bow I'm at full draw now at 22". Still working those limbs and will repost some photos once I'm done.