Author Topic: Heat-treat/Dry Climate/Rehydrate?  (Read 2142 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Heat-treat/Dry Climate/Rehydrate?
« on: January 26, 2010, 03:20:28 pm »
I heat treated the other day, and weighed out afterwards to establish an over-dry benchmark.  The problem is, 2 days on the weight hasn't come back up, in fact it seems to have dropped another 20th of an ounce.  Is there a problem here with dry winter air preventing rehydration?  Anybody else experience this?  The only other thing I can think of is it wasn't as dry to start with as I thought, and it's at equilibrium now.

Is it safe to start pulling this thing again?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Heat-treat/Dry Climate/Rehydrate?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:48:31 pm »
What's the wood? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:59:16 pm »
Thanks for taking an interest, Jawge!  It's chokecherry.  Pretty dense stuff, measured at .78, so it's probably around .75SG at least over all.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline gmc

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »
I really like your approach here, but let's think about this a second. For example: If the overall bow weighs 21 oz. at 10% moisture content and you just lost 1/20th of an ounce due to tempering that would only drop the moisture content of your bow by a factor of 1% of the total weight. That to me would be hard to quantify using a scale without a high degree of accuracy. Giving the belly time to normalize after heating is more important than trying to calculate its total weight, IMO. I would follow the prescribed time allowances given based on recommendations from proven experience. You don't want to hear mine, I use Hickory.

Disclaimer:
All math done with my shoes off....

Greg
Central Kentucky

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 08:21:51 pm »
Thanks Greg,  that's pretty much what I was hoping to hear back.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 10:46:05 pm »
I follow Marc's method.(3 days to re-hydrate),and it has always worked for me. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas