Author Topic: texas rock  (Read 15273 times)

Offline aero86

Re: texas rock
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 05:53:02 pm »
where in texas?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 08:46:13 pm »
 Cowboy, I picked that up out of the riprap on this job site. It's mixed in with concrete. I went to a BarBQ resturant down the road from the job site today, guess what they had in their flower bed? A whole bunch of nice 6" long cobbles of Perdanales. I liberated some. Then one of our guys that's been here since November brought me more from his motel's flower garden. He said he'll take enough to load my truck if I make him a couple of points.
  Paul, I'll have Sunday off, can you point me in the right direction for a road trip? Aero, I'm in Houston.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline xin

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 09:34:32 pm »
;Head toward San Antonio.  In the area of Floresville,east of San antonio, you should find some good chert.  Wilson County has some of the best yields of paleolithic points in Tx and most of it is  made from local stuff.  Get west of San Antonio and the stuff is everywhere.  Good luck and  give us a look at what you find.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 10:00:33 pm »
xin, Thanks! I'm going to head that way in the morning. Are there any special places to look? like a known creek bed or something off the side of the highway? Or, is it obvious?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline xin

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 11:03:52 pm »
I don't know the names of any particular creeks to look in, but when you get over around Floresville and just north of there I would hit any creeks of opportunity.  I know of one archaeological site just north of Floresville at Sutherland Springs  that produced at last count 17 side notched knives.  The area I've been talking about is South of Interstate 10.  If you go north of Interstate 10 up around the New Braunfels area just take back roads and you can see it lying almost everywhere in the fields.  I have been on archaeological digs along Cibola creek that were very productive artifact wise but didn't notice any chert in the area of the dig along the creek, although there is chert in the area.  sSorry I can't be more specific, but there is chert all around the San Antonio area.  Good hunting

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 11:30:33 pm »
xin, Thanks, you've been a lot of help. I've got the map out and plotting my course. I hate to go home with out at least looking.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 07:37:52 pm »
 Just got back,man that's a lot of driving. I started out looking up in Bexar County near Bandera and didn't find anything worth a darn. So I headed south towards Laredo. I came off 410 and Tx-16, at I-35 and found some there. I loaded up about 300# out of a corn field. It sure would have been easier if it hadn't rained Friday. My boots weighed about 25# each when I finally quit.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline xin

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 07:53:23 pm »
Congratulations , I knew you would hit the jackpot somewhere.  Isn't Bandera a neat little town.   Have had breakfast there several times.  Didn't realize you would get as far as Bandera.  Bandera, Kendall,Kerrville, and Medina counties are in the epicenter of Tx chert.  If you had headed north a little you could have picked up some Pedernales.   Now, Iwant to see some of your points from this stuff.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 08:11:59 pm »
Damn, Eddie! I missed out on your rock run! Glad your going home with some workable stuff though ;). My first rock run was from around Bandera (Pipe creek area). xin didn't steer ya wrong! Any creek bed, corn field, roadside, or hell even in the road around there aughta turn out some nice workable stuff. I wanna see some of your spoils too ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 08:12:21 pm »
 Crap, I turned around and headed south before I got to Bandera and Kerrville. All I kept seeing was limerock so I headed for the corn fields.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:27:52 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 08:13:27 pm »
 Dang, Paul, I've been calling and leaving messages on your phone since Friday.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 08:15:36 pm »
My bad, I guess :-\. Wish Id'a known, prolly coulda helped....
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 10:29:14 pm »
 I'll take some pictures tomorrow at work. I've got to wash some of that black clay off.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 12:03:29 am »
Good on ya Eddie.  Pop a cold one, you deserve it!

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 03:38:00 am »

Let me know when you get home, and I will buy you a cold one, and even take you and Kathy out for ribs, or spaghetti.  I figure you must be tired of mex food. ;D  Dang, sounds like Oregon driving.  A hundred miles between anywhere! :o

Wayne