Author Topic: Bang!/Crunch: What I've learned about Chokecherry so far.  (Read 9148 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Bang!/Crunch: What I've learned about Chokecherry so far.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 02:02:03 am »
Thanks for the comments guys.

Dana, I will do just that.

Leroy, I found that it bent easily with the heat gun; steam might be worth a try.  If it works it should prevent overdrying.  A good winter strategy?  I agree a hickory or boo back would work wonders.  I'd still heat treat the belly, I keep reading on different threads about chokecherry chrysalling easily otherwise.  I'm wondering if decrowning might have helped me, I think my high crown didn't help.

Chuck, you're the man!  I find the blackfoot chokecherry bow you posted to be very inspiring.

Sailordad, keep us posted on your project!

Garett
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Re: Bang!/Crunch: What I've learned about Chokecherry so far.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 06:26:57 am »
Zen, If chokecherry is normally weak in compression, decrowning will compound the problem, and make it more likely to fret, as would backing with hickory or bamboo.  Looks like you narrowed it down to moisture content anyway, which will be an issue for any wood aside from hickory.  I'm not sure if hickory could even stand 0% moisture.  Maybe you could build a 6' long humidor and store them like cigars ;D  Otherwise, keep that humidifier running.  I had the same issue with dryness in Alaska, but I was using hickory, so it didn't really matter.  Good luck, Jude
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit