Author Topic: getting better  (Read 2824 times)

Offline aero86

getting better
« on: January 28, 2010, 08:05:29 pm »
i dont know if you can really tell, i tried my best to get a good picture, but hopefully you guys can see my progression.  i think ive got it figured out.  you gotta start with a bigger piece and reduce it down. 

piece on the left has really good flakes, i reduced the thickness a lot.  the piece on the right just broke it to size, and reduced no thickness.  comments?

profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: getting better
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:08:13 pm »
hard to see the right one but the left has some very good flake scars. keep doing it and theyll just keep getting better. very nice job
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:50:33 pm »
 To thin the one on the right, grind a deeper angle and drop lower on the platform when you push. Those are nice flakes on the left one.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:06:18 pm »
oh, i meant to say, the one on the right was done a week ago, the one on the left done today.  the one on the left, i just grabbed a hunk that was pretty thick, and just started working on it for practice.  i was getting some pretty good flakes out of it.  its surprise how simple it really is..  thanks all for your help!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 11:56:21 pm »
If you want to refine it even more. Start with an even bigger piece and run several passes of flakes on each face.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 01:03:10 am »
yeah, im gonha have to get a bigger piece.  this one was just a thick chunk and i thinned it out pretty decent, it just got really small! 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 12:10:16 pm »
Looking good :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 07:39:09 pm »
i guess im not getting my platforms right.  you guys are making really long items, and my short points are still stubby, with short flakes.  i switched to some flint flakes i had. 

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 07:47:33 pm »
nothing wrong with them
just keep on making flakes,you will eventually get the pieces to be bigger and bigger
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 09:45:28 pm »
maybe its just the material.  i also tried my hand at a bit of percussion flaking.  that taught me a bit too.  got some good flakes with doing that.  taught me the correct angles.. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 12:13:59 pm »
Nice looking points,yes I would say you are comming along. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 12:05:21 am »
HEy dude, those are looking great!  I know, flintknapping is freakin addicting.... Now keep 'em coming!  You now have another homework assignment: tie them onto some arrows and start killing stuff with 'em!
Marietta, Georgia