Author Topic: Formaster  (Read 6637 times)

Offline NTD

Formaster
« on: January 29, 2010, 02:43:16 am »
Ok I'm not a gimmick guy but my shooting sucks and I just came across this tool.  Has anyone used it?  Did it work for you?  Is it safe to use with a wood bow?
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Formaster
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:59:07 am »
I have never used one. It would probably help but I'm a believer in shooting a bow for bow shooting exercise.
  If you start out learning the fundamentals of properly shooting a bow and concentrate of every aspect of your shooting, take time with each draw, anchor and release and where the arrow WILL go you will notice an improvement in your shooting. Shooting, shooting shooting is the way to learn to shoot well. Be sure you do every step as it should be done and keep your concentration. If you find your mind wondering or you are getting lax or loosing concentration, put the bow down and walk away until later and try again.
  After many hours of shooting and many arrows it will begin to come naturally to you. I also learned you are better off shooting a dozen good shoots than 50 or 100 that are just ok. Start with one arrow, concentrate of your form, concentrate of all aspects of the shot and make that one shot(at a close range(5 to 10 yards), retrieve that arrow and do it again. Don't try to shoot groups. Every arrow in the target is a distraction for the next one. Only shoot one arrow, well, retrieve it and go again, and again and again. When you feel good about that distance step back a few steps and start over again.
   "Just because it is simple doesn't mean it is easy"
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:18:32 pm »
Haven't used one, but the easiest (and cheapest) is just to blank bale. Which, if you have a good target, can even be done inside. I use a curtain, but a block target set against a garage or basement wall is fine. All you do is concentrate on what YOU'RE doing, and being so close you needn't worry about missing. With the weather as bad as it is, this is a real plus for me. I get to keep shooting and I ingrain the shot sequence into my mind by not thinking about accuracy but the entire shot itself.

Same goes for making changes in you shot sequence such as adjusting anchor or whatever. By the time you have it ingrained by blank baling you get to see the real effects it would have on your accuracy because it's already a natural part of the process. Alot of the masters of the longbow out there, and in the past, have done this: Howard Hill, Byron Ferguson, John Shulz, etc. It's hard to bring yourself to shoot and not think about accuracy, but once you do you'll be able practice alot better.

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:40:18 am »
One thing that helped my shooting a whole lot was to get my technique down on a light bow before moving up to heavy hunting weight bow. I was just easier to become aware of the draw, anchor, and release. I'm pretty sure the NA folks had light bows for small game and heavy bows for big game and war.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 09:35:11 pm »
i put a video camera on myself to watch, i could see things as far as my form goes that wasent right. like pat said alot of shooting, no alot of good shooting if it starts to go south stop.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:15:12 pm »
 I've gotta ask, what is a Formaster?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 10:22:23 pm »
...Is It Like A THIGHMASTER?   >:D ...just kidding  ;D -josh 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 12:30:40 am »
Eddie, It is a large rubber band type thing with a handle for the bow hand and a place for your drawing hand, to be pulled like a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 01:34:34 am »
Eddie, It is a large rubber band type thing with a handle for the bow hand and a place for your drawing hand, to be pulled like a bow.

No sir, it's actually not.  It is used in conjunction with your bow.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV9YCudXt9I
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 01:24:38 pm »
NTD, I stand corrected. That isn't the product I was thinking of. Looks to me you could save your money and make one of those. I personally don't use the style of shooting that this item would help me.

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 03:51:42 pm »
I am sure someone could make one but I am not good at making stuff :)  I don't know what style I shoot or should shoot I just want to be able to hit something once in awhile lol. 
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 06:11:07 pm »
Practice, practice, practice and betewn practicing, concentrate, concentrate, concentrate!!!   ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 05:58:47 pm »
 Thanks, NTD, that's not for me. I quit compounds to get away from the "Gadgets."
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 06:24:10 pm »
Thanks, NTD, that's not for me. I quit compounds to get away from the "Gadgets."

I definitely understand where you're coming from.  I just saw it on another forum and though it might get my form up to par quick.  I think one of the problems I'm having is that there are so many different types of form out there that I'm mixing and not staying with something until I can learn it.  I need to pick a method and stay with it I guess until i have a foundation and then maybe adjust it from there.  I don't like gadgets either....
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 06:54:52 pm »
I like G. Fred Asbel's "Instinctive Shooting" but others prefer Byron Ferguson's "Becoming the Arrow"
Google both books and see which one suites you.