Author Topic: Snowed In/Making Shavings/Hickory Backed Birdseye Wampanoag Bow/Finally Done  (Read 42185 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Well Deer Season is over...We got 14 inches of Snow...the City Plows ain't Plowing...so I hit the Garage Yesterday...and started on a Glue Up I put together this last Summer....It's an Air Dried Birdseye Maple Board from Upper Michigan....I backed it with Pignut Hickory for a little added Assurance against the massive amounts of fugue in the Maple....when I glued it up...I induced way too much Reflex... ::)...5 Inches to be exact! Anyways...I cut it out....and started drawknifing it late yesterday afternoon...and here is where I am at as of right now...I have it Tillered to 25 inches....at 65 pounds...I am shooting for 28 at 70 pounds...so I should have no problems there at all...I just hope that the Maple can take that kind of weight....we'll find out...eh! The Bow is 66 inches long 64 NTN.... 2 1/4" wide at the widest parts of the Paddles....It carrys 2 1/2" of Reflex after being Unstrung...and relaxing to 3" in less than an Hour...This was my first heavy reflexed Bow...and what difference there is in the Tillering Process...Man you have to go slow to make sure that you don't remove too much too fast! All in All ...this was a great learning Experience for Me....I still have to stain it and Paint It....You can't make a Paddle Bow without Artwork...now can You..... :P...I will attach pictures of the Drawings   and a Full Draw when paint is Dry

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:18:38 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Snowed In/Making Shavings Again/ Hickory Backed Birdseye Wampanoag Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 04:40:16 pm »
Man that is looking good El D !!!   How hard was it to brace for the first time?  Cant wait to see it finished up!   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Cacatch

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 04:41:05 pm »
Nice! Tiller looks kill!

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 04:42:30 pm »
looking great bro... looks like a real pretty killer!
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 04:46:52 pm »
Man that is looking good El D !!!   How hard was it to brace for the first time?  Cant wait to see it finished up!   :)  -josh

Josh...It was a Beast to get a String on...about as hard...maybe harder to String as my Korean Bow...it about twisted me like a Pretzel at first...Slipped the Large loop over the the Top Pin Nock...slid it down the Limb....put the String Loop on the Bottom Pin Nock......put the Bow Tip on a Rug...Kneeled into the Center of the Handle...went to slide the String Loop up....and She spun around in a Circle...and the Bow about got me where it counts........ :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:58:04 pm »

Josh...It was a Beast to get a String on...about as hard...maybe harder to String as my Korean Bow...it about twisted me like a Pretzel at first...Slipped the Large loop over the the Top Pin Nock...slid it down the Limb....put the String Loop on the Bottom Pin Nock......put the Bow Tip on a Rug...Kneeled into the Center of the Handle...went to slide the String Loop up....and She spun around in a Circle...and the Bow about got me where it counts........ :o

Been there... I really love the outcome of a highly reflexed bow but I really, really, really hate trying to brace it for the first time.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

half eye

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 06:08:04 pm »
El D,
      Yer all set for them "chargin elephants" or maybe a UP Chipmunk tryin hard to escape that Dana  ::) Man you must be young and full of beans bud (70 @ 28) !   Nice bow as allways eh.
half eye ;)

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 06:12:13 pm »
I may be full of Beans....but I am pushin 52 really hard right now........ ;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 08:07:20 pm »
Yup I got dem der chippy's runnin fer der lives donchano eh ;)
I'm surprised a drawknife worked in birdseye must have been sharper than all hell.
Looks good Mike and bet that one will take meat when it smacks yer wrist eh :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 08:18:50 pm »
That's a fine looking bow! Great craftmanship! Yeah, snowstorms have a way of bringing out the bow and/or arrow making time. I got a bunch of arrows made during our big snowstorm.  But, this is actually ancient tradition as I understand winter is when a lot of tribes would make arrows or new bows. What else they gonna do? Well, they could tell stories. "We're going to hear the story about Coyote and the---" "Awwww, all the Coyote stories are re-runs!"  ;D

Couldn't help but notice the plates on display. My wife has a bunch of plates, except they're all hanging on the walls. She says it's a Greek thing. But, hey, we've also got skulls and spears and quivers of arrows on the walls, too. That's a predator thing!  >:D
Living a dream...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 08:27:35 pm »
Hell mike if I was you I would be out doing donuts in that Shelby >:D woooooooohooooooooooo ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 08:57:43 pm »
Hell mike if I was you I would be out doing donuts in that Shelby >:D woooooooohooooooooooo ;D

Dana....The SHELBY is in the Garage with a Blankie on Her...She's Cold...... :P...Gotta take care of My Girl.......... >:D

As for the Drawknife...yep ...it's sharp as a Razor...but all I did was Hog Off excess with the Knife....then I used my Stanley Surform to shape it up.....and a Jigsaw to cut Her Voluptuous Shape out...and Shannon's Homemade Scraper to Fine Scrape it down to nail the Tiller
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 09:13:49 pm »
That baby is looking real good 8)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Frode

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 09:21:00 pm »
El D,
That Is Nice!  How thick is that hickory backing?
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »
It's like 1/10"....200/1000ths....before Sanding and rounding it....spent the last hour shaping the Pin Nocks...had to go with my Old Favorite.... 8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:02:53 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome