Author Topic: Snowed In/Making Shavings/Hickory Backed Birdseye Wampanoag Bow/Finally Done  (Read 42191 times)

Offline dwardo

So so pretty!

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
That is a fabulous bow.  Great shape, great paint, and that birdseye maple is just wonderful.  I love it.  I may have to have a go at one myself.  There doesnt seem to be much birdseye maple over here in the UK, but I have found a handy luthier's website, where I can buy a long thick piece which would otherwise become a neck for an electric bass guitar.  I like guitars (and basses especially), but I think that I will have to buy some of that wood for a bow belly.

Would a bamboo backing be too strong for the birdseye belly?  How does the birdseye maple work?  Very hard or OK? 

Keep up the good work!
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Gorgeous! Got anyone to crank it back for a full draw pic?

Go to page 5 Don...there is a Big Fat UGLY Dude Cranking on it........ >:D

Ryan...if I would have had someone taking them Pictures...instead of Me...then maybe I would have been warned or ME Belly...hanging on out there....... ;D...but then I have been working on that Fat Layer all Fall...to take Me through the Cold Panhandle Winter.... :P

Bob...Birdseye Maple is not easy to work...most Tools will snag the Grain...and lift out chunks if you are not really carefull...It is really tough stuff...but I would never attempt to make a Bow from it without a Backing...and I think Bamboo would be fine...I have used Maple...Hickory...and Walnut for Backing so far...but never Bamboo...maybe next time!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:26:26 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
What a fine bow and well worth the wait. Bookmarked, too, for Feb Laminates
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline FlintWalker

Stunning bow Mike!  Just gorgeous all around. 8)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Jesse

Wow  :o That is one nice bow. Looks like BOM material to me as well. They might have to edit the full draw to make it PG ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline El Destructo

Wow  They might have to edit the full draw to make it PG ;D

Whats PG stand for Jesse.......Puss Gut........... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

great craftsmanship on this one Mike...and since you asked:  no grip!

Offline El Destructo

Yeah Scott...you are the First to respond...and I already decided ...No Grip...Looks better the way it is....Thanks
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline robbsbass

Mike I think this is one of the nicest bows you have made yet. the birds eye maple really sets it off. I showed the bow to my wife and all she noticed was your quilt,
live each day the best you can

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Snowed In/Making Shavings/Hickory Backed Birdseye Wampanoag Bow/Finally Done
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2010, 03:46:47 pm »
absolutly beautiful bow ,this is an example of where i would like to be in a few years !! mike ever consider sewing buckskin fringe to your shirt bottom, might help keep the draft out !!

Offline TRACY

Re: Snowed In/Making Shavings/Hickory Backed Birdseye Wampanoag Bow/Finally Done
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2010, 06:15:46 pm »
Excellent craftsmanship Mike! I suppose you have a display rack in the backglass of the Shelby for it, I would ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2010, 09:19:51 pm »
Excellent craftsmanship Mike! I suppose you have a display rack in the backglass of the Shelby for it, I would ;D

Tracy

Now thats an Idea......... >:D

Robbsbass...the Quilt is Handmade also...just not me!! Thats something that My Grandmother Passed on to Us Kids....She was the Quilter and Crochetter...... ;)

OK Ken...Nuff of the Fat Jokes now.......... ;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Postman

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2010, 10:26:08 pm »

WOW!

Great lookin' bow - Someone once quoted you as saying "If it don't go fast, chrome it" at 73#, I'll bet it it don't need no chrome!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2010, 10:30:11 pm »

WOW!

Great lookin' bow - Someone once quoted you as saying "If it don't go fast, chrome it" at 73#, I'll bet it it don't need no chrome!

I forgot about that Quote..... ;D....and No....it won't need to be Chromed....it's a Goer...not a Shower......... ;)
2024...We Will Overcome