Author Topic: Mr. Mollegabet's Evil Baby Brother....57" Molle / dimensions added to "how to"  (Read 13165 times)

half eye

The next episode in the "crazy saga's" got to wondering what the results would be to make a "baby" mollegabet....would it pull, be quick, be smooth etc. etc. (like it's big brother) so grabed a not so good piece of red elm and had at it.

Only thing out of character is that the stick was dried real poor and was pretty checked up....so the pics aren't backwards I put some thin red oak on the levers because they were split pretty good...the rest is a self bow though. Came out to my usual 50# @ 27 and is 57"NTN....ought to make a goodun for hunting in a blind!

Turned out pretty well, and draws and shoots really smooth and quick too. It still needs the leather grip wrap (well hell, ya dont want the handle gettin cold, now would ya.) Any way here are some pics of the "little devil". The first one is to show just how small it is
half eye ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:53:26 am by half eye »

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Re: Mr. Mollegabet's Evil Baby Brother....57" Molle
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:05:26 pm »
Nice bow half eye.. no carvings on this one?
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

half eye

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 07:35:12 pm »
Legionnaire,
     No Sir , not even. This stick was from a board on the bottom of a rack that had been air dried and they did a real poor job of keeping out the dust etc. so the drying checks couldn't close correctly.....didn't think this board would take the gaff....I'm a little suprised that it made a bow, to be honest.......so no carving.
     One of those deals where I wanted to try "something" but wasn't sure enough to use a "good" stick....might try carving a short one with some good wood though.
half eye ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »
Even God rested on the 7th day Rich :D nother nice one eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »
Half Eye - that Mollegabet is looking better and better every time I see you do one!    You get that down to 48" overall (even if it's only 35-40#) and I'll be first in line to buy one!

Question - Suppose you tillered the bow and finished it to XX #.  Then you decide in retrospect to carve it much like your large one.  How much to do you suppose that would reduce the poundage? 

You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:47:23 pm »
All right then Half eye, you just concinced me that I need to try and build one of those. So you will need to explain to my wife how it is your fault that I don't come out of my workshop. Nice bow.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 09:09:43 pm »
Love these bows! from half eye, carved or not. Bookmarked Little Molle for January Self  Bow of the Month, too!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 09:16:25 pm »
Nice little bow.  Once again, "A" for ingenuity--you make bow building seem so easy!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

half eye

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 09:19:57 pm »
KenH...maybe I'll see how short I can go but dont know how much draw it would make......hummmm? When I carved the very first one I didn't know how much it would loose so when I had it tillered to about 17 inches....I did the carving and then put it back on the tree and had to pull it just short of 19 inches to get the same weight.....so I guess you should allow between 5-10 pounds.....it will sort of be like if you took 1/16" off the belly. Hope that helps.

Lombard: I have way more trouble with my own spouse....I sure dont need her gettin any help ::) There is the old ploy of leaving the shop SOOOOO dirty they dont want to come anywhere near it!!!! and if they do come lookin....ya can allways hide in the nearest pile of scrap ;D
half eye ;)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 09:20:41 pm »
 Very nice Rich.  Man you are a bow making machine right now. Going to have to break down and try that style. ;) Thanks for sharing.

Offline Frode

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 09:54:09 pm »
...There is the old ploy of leaving the shop SOOOOO dirty they dont want to come anywhere near it!!!! and if they do come lookin....ya can allways hide in the nearest pile of scrap ;D
half eye ;)
Rich, this might just work!  ;D
Seriously though, that is one good looking bow!
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

half eye

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 10:10:43 pm »
Frode,
     Hell of an idea ;D Wouldn't get all bruised up by jumpin right in.....I might even be able to break my own record ::)
half eye

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 04:55:55 am »
Looks like a nice little shooter there.  Are the levers only 1/3 the length of the limb?  They look wicked long in the full draw pic.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

half eye

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 11:06:27 am »
fellas,
      I'm going to post some picks with dimensions in the "how-to" section and should give you the info you might want along with the why's.
half eye ;)

Offline Frode

... I put some thin red oak on the levers because they were split pretty good...the rest is a self bow though...
Rich,
Would you happen to have a closer shot of those levers?
Thanks,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.