Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

layout dimensions for Mollegabet bows

<< < (2/4) > >>

half eye:
OK folks,
       Just so I dont kicked around anymore I'm posting museum bows and drawings from the people who dug 'em up. You all can call them what ever you want to......
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

radius:
i guess if we'd found Mollegabet first, we'd be calling this style "mollegabet" from the get-go...

Tractor:
I think the answer to my next question is found in Radius' last post but I will ask it anyway.

Are the names Mollegabet and Holmegaard from the archaeological sites?  And if so then are those sites near each other geographically and historically?  I know that is not exactly a build-a-long question but it is of interest to me.

Thanks, Mike

radius:
as far as i can tell...the Holmegaard bow comes from a dig near a place called Holmegaard (in Denmark???).   And then i think that Mollegabet is an actual village which has only recently been unearthed (???) ...  something like that.

half eye:
Tractor,
       I believe that these bow types were named for the nearest town/ location where they were foung....These two are both in Denmark....nodoby has stuck a name to the short bow found in Sweden recently (not yet that I know of).
       The boarders of Scandanavia were not like they are now...basically the "Vikings" were all lumped together (like when the white guys couldn't keep the Native Americans straight) But it is my understanding that some of the Danes, Norwiegan, and some of the Swedes were "southern or western Vikings (they went south and west (England, New World, Iceland etc.) And some of the Swedes and Northern Norweigans went east (called Rus) and settled in what's now Russia and were in contact with people all the way to the eurasian steps, constantanople etc.
       I understand that the "Vikings" themselves were divided by aleigences to various warlords and kings more than geography.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version