Author Topic: aiming a longbow  (Read 7020 times)

douglas george

aiming a longbow
« on: March 13, 2010, 05:43:17 pm »
I own four handmade ("Taylor Made Bows") longbows.  One is a 45 lb Osage Orange self bow, another is a 73 lb laminated longbow, another is a 48 lb laminated fiberglass and maple longbow, and the last is a 48 lb hickory and bamboo composit bow.  I shoot target archery (barebow) with my Hoyt re-curve target bow and Carbon express arrows, and I shoot hand made (Taylor Made) cedar arrows with the longbows.  I have only been shooting "primitive" with the longbows for a couple of months.  I would like to learn how one should really loose arrows with a longbow. Grip, anchor point, release being the main things.  I hope to do some bow hunting with the longbows, fore my sister owns 25 a. of land along the Yellowstone river, about 35 miles north of Yellowstone in Paradice Valley.  I also work with pyrotechnics in Idaho.  I have been hunting with flint rifles, and my longest shot has been 16 yards,(Blue Ridige Mts-Virginia) so I think I could hit a deer with a longbow, using cedar arrows and Magnus two blade glue on broadheads.
But I would like some advice from more experienced archers...in the art of the "bent-stick".
Douglas George

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: aiming a longbow
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 05:52:27 pm »
It shouldn't be much different from you recurve...the only advice i can give you is to shoot how you are most comfortable and with the self bow you don't want to hold it back for any period of time...you wan't to put as little of stress on the back as possible...oh and practice practice practice, you won't get good at shooting over night.  Good luck!

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:14:40 pm »
The only differences are the heel of the hand is now down on the grip (that is, more than the recurve at least), and you don't hold them back as long (as Ky mentioned). Consider a 5 second hold maximum, with 2-3 seconds being ideal. Actually, if you have experience with serious target shooting I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pick up the selfbow and be ready to hunt within a few months, especially at close range :).

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 06:33:46 pm »
Sounds like you have a good deal of experience. The best advice I can give is to stop shooting the other bows and stick with just your selfbow. I have noticed with a selfbow windage is much more of a factor. You need to get the feel for dropping the arrow into the target.  Much more arc in the shot at long range. No time to really aim as much with a selfbow. I like to cant the bow and be able to shoot from any position.  I find I shoot better if my arm is pointed out straight at 90 deg. from my body so I bend at the waist or get on one knee if the target is low.  Dont listen to me though I have terrible form and I miss a lot ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jay

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:54:31 pm »
i think Kylerproshaska said it, pratice,practice ,practice. It is true you will stop "aiming" and look where  you want your arrow to go and it will get there. When that happens it is super cool!!

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 08:22:10 pm »
Don't remember where I heard it but works for me......

"shoot enough arrows and you start to know where they're going to go"!!!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline riarcher

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:14:06 am »
Sounds like you have a good deal of experience. The best advice I can give is to stop shooting the other bows and stick with just your selfbow.

Have to agree with that pretty much.
Stick with one bow (for awhile) until it trains you;)
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island