Author Topic: Tools  (Read 10721 times)

Offline r-ice

Tools
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:20:10 pm »
 I am new here and I am trying to figure out exactly what tools i'll need.  I have a lathe( not sure if this tool will help lol), I have a drill press, grinder (sharpen tools), 9inch bandsaw.  I'm trying figure out just what else I needed. 

I know i'll need a hand plane of some sort but unsure of which one to get.

leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46322&cat=1,41182,46334

Or

leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=55065&cat=1,41182

or this one which is a little, rather alot expensive

leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=61963&cat=1,41182,48942
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:26:39 am by Justin Snyder »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Tools
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:55:35 pm »
First of all, I think the Veritas brand flat sole spokeshave leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,50230,49142&p=49142 would be the top end tool!  It's the one I am saving nickels and boxtops to buy.  It is part number 05P33.01 or 05P32.51, depending on which type of steel you want in the blade. Not only would this tool be the only spokeshave you would need in a lifetime, it looks just sexy as heck on the bench.

Second choice for a spokeshave made by Stanley, but it is cast pot metal and I have broken two in the last year by dropping them on the floor (one wood floor and one concrete floor).  Lee Valley used to carry this tool, but I don't see it in the recent catalog.

You posted links to the block planes, including the ultrasleek, superfuturistic Veritas DX60.  This baby looks like an Italian designed space fighter ship!  Problem with using a block plane on bows is that the tool will not conform to any curving or bent surfaces like a spokeshave. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:27:26 am by Justin Snyder »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline r-ice

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 02:27:28 am »
a spokeshave? even if i want to start with board bows? is this the same or similar to sawfillers scraper?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:31:45 am by r-ice »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 02:34:51 am »
If you are going to start with a Board Bow...which is a darn good Idea...go with a Stanley Surform...they Hog off wood well...and when you decide to move on to a Stave...It will work well for you there also! I use a Surform on Boards and Staves...and a Ferriers Rasp also...these are my two favorite tools...I have a Spoke Shave...but it hasn't been out of the Tool Chest in Years...I have no use in it....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 03:03:40 am »
i too like the sure form for board and stave bows
i like a rounded bellied blade on mine
i believe El d ikes a flat bellied blade
either way they work great
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:18:36 am »
                                  Aint nothing better on a Board Bow....than a Cheese Grater.......... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:30:59 am »
Guys, links to websites that are not paying advertisers are against the rules, please quit posting them.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 11:52:24 am »
Me I say buy a farriers rasp instead of a sureform as the farriers rasp($15) don't plug up and hogs wood off in a hurry.

buy a nicholson 4in1 rasp($7)

and if you have one of sawfilers scrapers you have everything you need to make a bow :)

Your 9" bandsaw will work fine especially for boards.

No need to immediately go out and spend big bucks on fancy tools, as for a spokeshave some folks like em some don't
I see no use for a plane but some folks have used them.

Also one of Eric Krewsons tillering gizmos is great, build a tillering tree and a tillering string and your all set.

If you find out you like making bows there are some more expensive tools you can buy but expensive tools aren't necessary, after all the NA's used stone and bone tools to make bows eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 12:17:31 pm »
All the tools I use are:

A cheapo drawknife
An old farriers rasp
And my good old pocket knife (as a Scraper)

Thats all you need and you could probably do it with less JMO.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 04:31:44 pm »
A rough old rasp is definitely a good choice.  I have tried using the Surform tools, but I have yet to get one that will even scratch hardwoods like osage, hickory, or oak.  I can't understand what I am doing wrong, bec ause others have had good luck using them.

And yes, I would use the spokeshave on the board bows because you are removing wood from the belly of the bow, not the back.  The transition from handle to bow limb has gentle curves that a spokeshave can help with but a block plane wouldn't be able to get into. 

The pocket knife or folding hunting knife is pretty useful, too.  Once you learn to scrape carefully, you will reduce the amount of sandpaper needed to finish things out.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 11:44:27 pm »
A rough old rasp is definitely a good choice.  I have tried using the Surform tools, but I have yet to get one that will even scratch hardwoods like osage, hickory, or oak.  I can't understand what I am doing wrong, bec ause others have had good luck using them.

are you putting the blade on the facing the right direction?
mine works wonderfully on hickory,elm,osage,black walnut,ipe,maple etc

Offline r-ice

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 05:18:13 am »
i have inquired and am hoping to pick up one of saw fillers scrapers.
and i'll have to take a look at this tillering gizmo and see where that takes me. =]

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 08:57:49 pm »
GRRRRRR, sailordad!

YES, the blade was on in the right direction, the scars on my knuckles can attest to that!  LOL.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 09:55:38 pm »
I found microplane rasps at woodcraft and I've had more luck using them than a surform. They seem to be sharper and make a finer cut so there's less finish scraping and sanding to get a good finish. they have interchangeable blades in flat and rounded profiles. I like the rounded, works fast and shapes well.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 10:48:47 am »
JW i see your from S.D.
are you coming over to Mn. next week end for the cryogenic knapp in in Milaca Mn.?