Author Topic: Thanks orcbow!!  (Read 3850 times)

Offline lowell

Thanks orcbow!!
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:40:44 pm »
With orcbows build-a-long I made sawdust and woodchips and got this much of my crossbow done.  With help from my son this past weekend we put about 150# of pressure on the trigger and it seemed ok with the stress.  Did tweek the trigger release a little to make it smoother.

Stock is maple and cherry,  nut is texas ebony and maple.  Side plates and underside of stock is curly white oak.  A couple of wood pins are osage.  So it is a little bit of everything and I have had a lot of fun with it so far!!  I have even shot an arrow(bolt) with the high power of a rubber band.

Started the prod(bow) part this weekend too.  Chased my first osage ring in close to a year. It is probably at about 400# now so I have some "whittling" to do.  Hope to get it near 130# as legal hunting wieght here is 125#. I'm not used to pulling such high poundage with my pulley system to check tiller but I am getting into it!! ;)

Great build-a-long orcbow...very easy to follow....and please now immitation is the sincerest form of flattery!! :)    Thanks again, Lowell

[attachment deleted by admin]
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Thanks orcbow!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 01:38:26 am »
dude that looks awesome, I wanna build one... Thanks for sharing!   :) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

orcbow

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:43:28 am »
Hey that looks really good! Nice use of different woods. Sorry about the trigger design--it's a little bit weak, since there is not much mechanical advantage in the short lever. Basically it may take a really strong finger. Thanks for sharing it "around the campfire!"

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:10:23 pm »
Was just out in the shop this morning and shot it for the first time. Shoots right wear I'm looking and was surprized at how it shot as I've never shot a crossbow before.

Prod came in under weight (often the case for me with bows!!) at about 80 lbs but it is a good test for me.  I need to strap prod on a lot tighter as it moved after a few shots.  Trigger worked very smooth for the 80 lbs!! Need to serve string wear it rubs the stock. I'm very happy with it but still looking forward to getting my shoulder back in shape for the longbow!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!