Author Topic: spliced Mollegabet?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Frode

spliced Mollegabet?
« on: February 01, 2010, 11:01:15 pm »
Hi all,
I'm in the midst of a 60" red oak Mollegabet (figured I'd better do it now, before Rich does a 24 incher  ;)  :D) ).  It's gonna be light, and linen backed (although it probably wouldn't have had to be), and it's a piece I already had (tiller pics tomorrow).  My question is;  I have a 72" red oak board, with some good grain, but not all the way along.  If I cut it and flipped one end and spliced it back together the bad grain would be out in the static tips, and a lot of it would be cut away anyway.  Is there any reason why I couldn't splice a Mollegabet?  Noob question, but hey... :-\
Thanks,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

half eye

Re: spliced Mollegabet?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:50 pm »
Frode,
       I have never done a splice but cant see why not...the handle/ grip is rigid so maybe just make it a little deeper? Say maybe 1-1/8 wide by 1-1/2 deep and then round that out and maybe make a longer (1/4" to 3/8") fade as the grip transitions into the working limb. Also instead of making your working limbs even thickness you make the middle of the working part a little thinner than both ends because that will make the limb bend more circular instead of starting near the grip like the "regular" bend profile.
       Here's a couple of pics to illustrate the "bend". the 47" is the "round bend" and the bigger bow is the more "tradfitional" bend produced by parallel limb thickness. (they are both black ash)
half eye ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:51:39 pm »
Thanks Rich!
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 01:16:50 am »
A splice woud be no problem.  Other than actually making the splice.  :D
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.