Author Topic: In Situ.  (Read 5581 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: In Situ.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 08:29:12 am »
Now thats just plain ol cool Paul 8)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 08:56:19 am »
Mighty fine work Paul! Very creative!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 10:09:34 am »
some of you do have to much time
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 11:25:08 am »
Tried one this morning. Came out ok but I can do better
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 11:32:23 am »
That is to cool,I'm with Eddie,would look good on my desk. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 12:15:48 pm »
Let's see it Jamie! Uh oh, sounding like I may have to get an order list put together :-X ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 12:28:23 pm »
Those are cool, Paul. I tried making one of those a couple years ago, and finally gave up on it and flung it into the Briar Patch of Shame.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 11:02:43 pm »
Thanks guys! Steve: I have a bare patch of ground of shame ;D. All the kids love it when they come over - cause their really was indians here :D. Anywho, here's another one. After breaking three in a row yesterday, I needed this....

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 11:39:43 pm »

Paul so do I!!  I just tried again to make an Obsidian knife blade, and once again it broke in half!  I am getting (*(&^^**(^%^!!!!Off about that. >:(  Anyway, then I had a decent arrow head almost finished, and broke the ear off of one side! :(  Well it went on the anvil, and is scattered throughout the shop. >:(  I tried to brace the knife blade on my thigh, and I thought that was working, till I had two pieces of it. ???  Then I tried to pressure flake a piece of mahogany obsidian, and it was going ok, till I put a sliver of it into my left middle finger. >:(  So I swept up some of the chips and such, put my tools away, turned off the light, and came in and heated up my leftover pot of field peas, and Hillshire Farms smoked sausage, and fried up some southern style cornbread, and got my bottle of pepper sauce, and here I sit, with my hot tea, and food, and looking at the stuff you make, and feeling like I should go curl up in the corner, till the morning! :'( :'(  I have tried to watch PaleoJim, over, and over, and then go practice.  I keep telling my self it is a learning process, but .....I apparently am not learning! :(  Claude is leaving, so there goes my closest source of A PaleoJim.  I really wanted to make something nice for some Friends of mine, his Wife said she would like an arrow head.  I told her when I get good at it, I will make her some.  My Girlfriend wanted one, My Buddy in Montana wanted me to make him a knife out of Obsidian.  Welllll.......I hope I live long enough to be able to accomplish these tasks.  Anywho, I guess I will probably go back out again tomorrow morning and start my day off cussing. :P  But those are absolutely AWSOME!!!! :o :o :o Well I think it is time for a Beer! ;D  Yeah, that sounds good, I definitely know I can handle a beer!  Maybe not so too pretty good with rock, but a beer, I can sit down, and enjoy! ;)
                                                                                 Wayne

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 01:14:44 am »
Damned if that ain't just plain AWESOME!
  I ruined a nice piece of sonora tonight trying one of those.   I just simply don't know where to start ???
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline jamie

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 06:20:09 am »
thats awesome paul.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 08:37:31 am »
I don't know how long you've been knapping Wayne but sounds like you have enough of the bug that your going to stay with it long enough to get those points and blades ya wanna make ;). Too bad about Claude but looks like you and Eddie get together enough. That's the best medicine - keep getting with Eddie, you'll figure it out..
 Shannon: I found out last night that it's best to kinda start thinning along the top edge, then I like to start concaving between the base and point before I go too thin anywhere else. It's standard percussion then a whole lot of Ishi stickin.. Thanks Jamie - I got a feeling your going to try another one ;D.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 09:46:50 am »
Paul that is just to darn cool.boy you sure know how to stir up of knappers,yep now I'm going to give it a try.I guess if I mess up and knock the base off I could still end up with a point.
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline jamie

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 10:20:38 am »
Howd ya guess . Just finished one! =)

waterbury, ct

Offline stickbender

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 10:54:28 am »

Cowboy, I started about two and a half years ago, but it was off and on, without much rock to work with.  Eddie will be in and out of the country, but I will try to get with him when I can, and I would like to get with Bone Pile, but he lives on the other side of the state, so it is difficult to get with them for any length of time.  I need a couple of days of one on one, problem solving.  When I get out to Montana, I plan on going over to Oregon for a couple of days, and loading up on Obsidian, and spending time with Emory Coons.  But in the mean time, I am getting pretty darn frustrated.  I get a blade started, and invariably it breaks, and I end up with an arrow head.  I guess I just have to make arrow heads till I can get with someone who can show me how to keep from breaking the blade.  I have tried to keep it supported lengthwise, but it still breaks. :(  I see the stuff  You and Shannon, and Bone Pile and some of the others make, and I just get to the point where I want to pack up and drive out and pull up in your front yard, and say, OK, now how in the hell do you do that?!!!  But anyway, I've got a few chunks of Obsidian left.  Hopefully, I can snag a few pieces of Texas stuff from Eddie.  I have some kind of tuff stuff, that I have made an arrow head out of, and it is very tuff stuff, takes a lot of abuse, and still stays in one piece.  So maybe I will have to forget making an Obsidian knife blade, till I can sit down with Emory for a few sessions.  But as all the others have said, You Rock, with rock!!!! ;D

Wayne