Author Topic: My Entry for Failed Bow of the Month...  (Read 3745 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

My Entry for Failed Bow of the Month...
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:42:02 pm »
My broken Chokecherry stave lives!

(Original thread here)
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,17479.0.html

It begins its second life as a bola/sling launcher.  I simply adapted my bow-stringer nock as a loop release, and the string nock as a tie-on spot for the fixed end of my sling.  I slimmed down the front profile of the stave to reduce unneccessary weight, utilized the existing knot in the broken limb as a handle not unlike the knob on a hockey stick, and shaped the bow handle for my right hand.  I designed the length of the sling so that I could hold the strings just above the pouch with my pinkie finger.

I took it outside for a test fling, using an expendable rubber ball that my dog doesn't play with anyways.  It released early, shooting too high in the air.  Thankfully, I know the proper fix:  heat up the tip and clamp it into a sharper reflex.  Pictures:

Let me know what you think!!

(It occurs to me this thread might be better situated in a different sub-forum; if such is the case I will not be offended to find it has moved.  Thanks!)
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Keenan

Re: My Entry for Failed Bow of the Month...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:11:29 am »
 Zen, sorry to hear about the bow. Looks like it would have been a nice one. Great idea on the left over. I've had to do that with a few. Walking sticks, canes and  atlatles can be made from breaks as well

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 07:06:42 am »
What you have made is the staff sling, or fustibalus. This weapon is very ancient, and very effective.

I've been messing about with these for a while. Experiment with the length of the sling ropes, and different sized projectiles. Be careful as you learn to use it, as they have a tendacy to turn on their owners when you are first learning. A stone may go straight up and then straight down. The velocity you can get is phenominal, too, so these are no toys.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:42:33 am »
That is a might nice looking tip there, that's for sure!
Frank from Germany...

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 02:16:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Keenan, I'm sure this won't be my last reassigned stick.  Especially if bowyers like yourself still make them; albeit I'm sure very rarely?

Dane, I KNEW there was a proper name for it, I just couldn't think of it while posting.  Never heard the term "fustibalus" before, though.  I've been meaning to make one for a long time, it's funny how a setback in an unrelated endeavor can lead to a victory in another.  I've always been surprised that nobody has (to my knowledge anyways) used a launching stick for bolas, though.  I wrote an article printed months ago in The Backwoodsman magazine conjecturing a method of hunting using bolas tied to the end of a fishing line, launched by a fishing rod, and made of fishing weights.  Everybody I've shown the article to thinks I'm a First Class Nutbar.

Medicinewheel, thanks for the compliment!  I'm proud of the tip, if I wasn't, I probably wouldn't have found a way to salvage my broken wood.  I owe a shout-out to all the people who showed me the way with antler tips.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:14:47 pm »
Id like to see that article, Zen. I'm sure you are sane :)

That is the Latin name the Romans called the staff sling. They are easier to learn to use compared to a hand sling, and can pitch heavier stones at about the same velocity as a hand sling. These things were popular in the medieval period for naval warfare, and also for general siege warfare.

In some ways, a sling is far superior to the bow. An arrow you can see coming at you, and take cover or raise your shield. A sling stone is traveling much faster, and is almost impossilbe to see. The cast lead ones are particularly nasty. They shatter limbs, crush skulls, and mess up guys wearing helmets and armor upon impact. Internal damage can be extensive. Sling stones can also penetrate unprotected flesh easily.

Have fun.

Dane

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 07:36:39 pm »
Wow, these fustibali are more serious than I thought.  I'm gonna have to read up some more.

Here is my nutbar article as I submitted it.  I don't think anything was edited except my drawing which featured a goose standing on a golf course green with a thought bubble saying "This looks like a good place to poop."

I think it's fair to recommend The Backwoodsman since it doesn't compete with Primitive Archer, and especially since it was an article there about selfbows that ultimately led me here.

Fishing: For the Birds?
by Garett Beatty

I've got an idea I've been meaning to develop properly (ie. try it myself), but I can't escape the conclusion:  I'll never get around to it.  It's too good an idea not to share with those most likely to appreciate it, though:  My fellow Backwoodsman readers.  I will be tickled pink if somebody tries this out and reports back via a letter to Charlie.

A little background.  Bolas, or boleadoras, are a variation of a weapon used by many cultures.  It is made up of 2 or more weights connected by cords, spun overhead and thrown sidearm at the legs of the prey.  The weights spread out in flight, spanning the length of the cords holding them together.  Wikipedia tells me that the gauchos of South America use them to capture livestock, the indigenous folks from the same area used them for hunting critters I've never heard of, and that Inuit use their version to capture waterfowl.

Now.  What if the bolas were thrown with the help of a rod?  The force and range of the throw would be much improved, much the way the staff improved the sling, and the atlatl improved the spear.  Now better yet, what if you could do it in such a way as not to require learning a new skill?  You might even be an expert shot right now!  And what if it was all attached to a sturdy line that could be used to retrieve game that might otherwise get away or get you wet?

Here's a scenario.  You're on a hike-in fishing trip, and you get turned around.  You only brought enough food to last until the day before yesterday.  And the fish aren't cooperating.  You need some protein, darn it!  There are some geese and ducks swimming around, but you don't have the means to disrupt their plans for a skillet-free future.  Or do you?  Have you considered your fishing gear?  What if you ditched the catfish rig and tied on your goose rig?

Now as I mentioned earlier, I may never get around to trying this out.  But if our current economic fundamentals get any "stronger", we all might need to find an affordable way to put meat on our plates.

Here's how I suggest you rig up.  Start with some superbraid line on a heavy action spinning reel attached to a short heavy rod.  Tie a sturdy barrel swivel on the end, then tie 3 short chunks of superbraid line to the other end of the swivel.  On the ends of the tails, tie lead teardrop sinkers.  I would start with 1/2 oz weights on strings 2 feet long.  Adjust as trial and error dictates.

You're going to aim at the neck of the bird you're after.  It sounds like a small target, but in reality your bolas will cut a 4 foot swath through the air, so windage shouldn't be much of an issue.  You really only need to worry about elevation.  And if, like me, you practiced casting into an old tire from the time you were 6 years old, there shouldn't be nothin' to it.  There's going to be some strict technique to your throw, though.

First off, you have to impart a sideways spin to your weights, because a goose's neck goes up, and you want your weights to wrap around it.  But you also want to be mindful of keeping your main line clear of the weights to avoid mid-flight tangles.  So here's how I envision the perfect throw:  Start with your rod out to the side, as low as possible while clearing the ground with the sinkers.  Swing the rod back and up.  The object is to swing the weights up to about elbow height.  Now quickly snap the rod forward, releasing, and following through with an upward sweep, keeping your line above the spinning arms of your weapon.  Ideally, your rod should continue sweeping up until the bolas have made contact.  And for maximum power, a two handed cast is suggested as well.

If all has gone well up to this point, you should now be watching in awe as your 4 foot weapon instantly wraps itself around your quarry's neck.  I think a good throw might cut off air and blood supply, but likely you will now be in for a good fight as you reel in your catch.  Be careful!  Canada geese have been known to break the legs of grown men with their defensive wing strikes.  Be ready with a club, machete, or your fishing net and filleting knife.  If you use a club, don't forget to bleed the animal right away for optimum flavor come suppertime.

Now a variation.  The main thrust of my project was originally to launch the bolas with a stiff rod, but releasing them completely instead of throwing them tethered.  I couldn't quite work out a good simple release however.  I wanted it to work like casting a fishing rod for maximum control and accuracy.  Then by playing with the length and stiffness of the rod, as well as the weight and number of the balls, one could theoretically scale the weapon up to larger game, like hogs or deer.  Heavier weights attached to piano wire would fly with minimal air resistance and lock around the back legs of a deer with maximum authority.  You could finish the job with a machete or a spear.  Anybody who would like to develop this, try it out, and report back with their release design will be my hero!  But proceed with caution:  If your release fails to let go, you won't enjoy the result!  And please play responsibly:  Trying this out on game is probably illegal just about everywhere.  Check your local laws first.

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 08:43:57 pm »
Garett, Im going to have to experiment with your ideas, they sound fun.

The staff sling is purely a military weapon, as opposed to the hand sling, which is still used in some parts of the world. Some slingers were world famous, such as the Baleraic slingers the Romans used as auxilia. The Geeks used them against the Persians, and there are lots of old drawings of staff slings used in medieval warfare. Ive even see people experiment using slings to cast plumbata, which are lawn darts from hell, big heavy darts with lead weights late Romans developed.

My email is danemitchell@comcast.net. Send me yours, and I have this document in PDF form I can send you, The Sling: Forgotten Firepower of Antiquity. It is an academic paper but a great read, or you can google it and probably find it online. He gives numbers, estimates of velocity, energy of sling stones, stuff like that.

Dane

Lombard

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:17 pm »
I like how you salvaged what for most would have been a lost cause.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 03:45:28 am »
Thanks a bunch Dane, I'm looking forward to delving into the world of slings.  I'm running the risk of being inspired by too many things at once here... 

Thanks Lombard, I'm not sure I can say I look forward to salvaging many more in the future...  ???

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 10:47:32 am »
No problem, Zen. I know the feeling. I'm taking east coast swing dancing lessons right now, and my to-do list is long. Way too much to do and not enough time in life.

Dane