Author Topic: Ramin for shafts?????  (Read 3178 times)

sakimoto

Ramin for shafts?????
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:12:26 pm »
Would ramin be OK for arrow shafts. I bought a 1/2 dozen the other day for .69 cents each. They were real easy to straighten and they seemed to be lighter that the oak dowels. Does anyone have any information on this type of arrow shaft? Thanks again for your help guys!
Sakimoto ;D

Offline scattershot

Re: Ramin for shafts?????
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »
Ramin makes a great shaft, slightly heavier than Cedar. My understanding is that Ramin can't be imported into the US any more, so if you find some, grab a bunch.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

sakimoto

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 06:28:04 pm »
Thanks,
I will do that. I was just wondering if it would make a good arrow shaft. The one I bought a few days ago have been stained, and they are ready for a trade point made out of a saw blade and fletching. Again thanks for the information everyone!
Sakimoto ;D

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 06:59:05 pm »
Ryano and I split an order of 500  5/16 ramin shafts last winter an hardly had any throw outs. Most of them came out between 40 an 55 # spine, not many over a few under, I sold the lite weight ones an more than paid for my half. I just made up a 1/2 dozen today an they shot great an are heavy for size. 500 to 550 with 125 gr. tip.  Later Bob

Offline riarcher

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 01:48:24 am »
Some years ago, POC was getting scarce.
Was using 75-80 and all they had was Ramin.
3 doz. The good ones were really nice. (maybe 6?)
Many crooked, and wouldn't stay straight. Seemed like they'd be good... until shot.
Few had the grain going almost sideways and w/ knots.
They were from 3-Rs. Found some POC and paid dearly for them at the time.

Can't believe they were cut for arrows though, and assume they're much better now(?).
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island