Author Topic: Why not have a?  (Read 8262 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Why not have a?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 11:41:35 am »
David, hill cane is smaller, with rounder stems above the nodes (terete). It's semi-deciduous to decidous, and has long, persistant node sheaths on the stems compared to the short ones on river cane that fall off the second year. There are also differences in the number of compressed basal nodes on the branches, hairiness of leaves, and configuration of air canals in the rhizomes. Basically, if you're in the southern Appalachians, and you see a short patch of cane growing on a hillside or ridge well away from water, it's likely hill cane (though it will also grow along streams.) If it's tall and growing in a floodplain, it's probably river cane. If it's winter time, and it doesn't have leaves on it, or only a few yellowish ones, it's probably hill cane. In the Coastal Plain, there is also switch cane, which is somewhere between the two in characteristics.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 12:14:18 pm »
I knew Steve could explain it better that me.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 04:28:13 pm »
any one else care to contribute?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 12:43:49 am »
All my Bamboo died....It all froze and all of the Leaves fell off now...this last Snowfall and the Deep Freeze before the Snow...I think wiped it all out...maybe the Rhizomes Survived....maybe
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 01:30:20 am »
 I've got more, wait till I get back from Brazil. Or I'll bring a bunch to the Classic.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 03:19:29 am »
I think I am taking the Lariat...so I can beat Dana to the Wood this Year...... ;D.....so I should have room for the Boo too..... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 07:00:43 am »
I think I am taking the Lariat...so I can beat Dana to the Wood this Year...... ;D.....so I should have room for the Boo too..... >:D

Mike you just don't want the Shelby sittin in the rain and mud ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 12:33:16 pm »
                                Thats probably right...rember...I sat out in the Rain and washed it last Year........ ::)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 10:08:01 am »
Ok.  We have Jap Arrow Bamboo, Hill cane, we still need some good pictures of switchcane, salsa bamboo, rivercane, and any others that might be out there.  Lets keep this going

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 12:50:09 pm »
Charlie, here are a few pics of different arrow shoots and cane growing around my property.
These first ones are sourwood (Oxydendron arboreum)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 12:52:46 pm »
These next ones are silky dogwood (Cornus amomum). Similar to red osier dogwood but not as strong or as heavy. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 12:58:15 pm »
These next ones are blackhaw viburnum (Viburnum prunifolium).   Similar to arrowwood viburnum      (V. dentatum). Makes good arrows but usually need occasional straightening. I've never used arrowwood viburnum.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 01:05:02 pm »
...and finally this is a natural stand of hill cane(Arundinaria appalachiana) growing along my driveway. In the last pic you can see first year growth(paper sheath intact, bright green color), second year growth (paper sheath gone or deteriorated, color more yellow green)and a dead culm(tan color) that was third year growth last season. The second year growth is what you want for arrows. Third year growth is fine if found before it turns tan on it's own. As long as the culm is green it should be fine for arrows.

Offline aero86

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 01:05:47 pm »
nice pics pat, that definitely is "dog"wood..  hehe ;D  i know, im silly..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 01:08:06 pm »
any wood is dogwood for Lucy Brown!  ;)