Author Topic: doing something wrong?  (Read 4484 times)

Offline aero86

doing something wrong?
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:54:39 pm »
just started shooting, trying to get my form down, and trying to keep from getting hit with the string!  got the bow braced about 6 inches, maybe a tad under.  shooting cane arrows.  thought my draw was 28, but more like 27 for now.  i know that bracer's are for this, but i read in shooting the stickbow, that your doing something wrong if your string is hitting.  at least i can hit a smallish cardboard box from about 25 of my shoes away!  haha.

40lb bow at 28 inches, 6 foot long.  cane arrow, 29 inches long, with small field point and 3 point 5 inch fletchs..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: doing something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:18:07 pm »
I can appreciate what they taught in the book, but there are so many different styles of shooting that it is really hard to say someone is doing something wrong. If you are trying to shoot the style they are teaching, then you might be. I know what I am doing when I get slapped by the string. I'm either keeping my bow arm too straight, or gripping the bow to hard. Both cause the elbow to come in and SLAP!!!!
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:25:14 pm »
maybe thats what im doing wrong as well, holding the bow too hard..  ill give some different things a shot this weekend when ive got some free time.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:52:03 pm »
Selfbows + good form = need for a bracer. Shooting the Stickbow is about the best book I've found, but there are equipment differences. Bracers and no long hold time.

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 09:45:37 pm »
ok, i guess ill finish making this bracer then!  haha.  ive done a little better.  shot about 20 more before it got dark.  i really wish my mudhole back yard would dry up!  its hitting right below my wrist.  it just seems like how much i try to keep my elbow out and away, it still hits. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 12:08:53 am »
I shoot with a fluid style as per J. Fred Asbel. Leaning forward, elbow bent and head forward. The bent elbow will help prevent hitting your bow arm. I use a bracer but only to keep my shirt sleeve from getting caught in the string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 01:43:13 am »
so, you dont hold for a bit?

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:45:22 am »
I shoot similar (though not as well I'm sure) as Pat. I don't wear a bracer and only hit myself on rare occasions. I also am using lighter bows, around 40# - 45#.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 12:00:18 pm »
When I hit anchor I release. No hold at all. One problem I have found with my style is if I shoot too much or too heavy of a bow I will short draw with this style. When I find myself doing this I will concentrate on all aspects of my form, draw and release. At that point I will hold my anchor for a second or two before releasing. When hunting season comes around I don't want to think about any aspect of my draw, form and release but only concentrate on where the arrow WILL go. Generally I don't remember any part of the draw or release only the beginning, putting tension on the string. My concentration is on where the arrow WILL hit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline boo

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 01:39:20 pm »
Not sure if this is what is happening to you or not, but with me, I dont hit my wrist during the shot but after the shot. Its the string hitting the wrist after the arrow has left the bow on the back stroke, and it sits there and vibrates back and forth. Normally its a spot about two inches long.  Put the bow in your hand like you are shooting it and see if the string hits your red spot in the center. If it does then id say its after the shot.
Boo

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 07:04:58 pm »
it is after the shot, im sure of that now.  its not on my fore arm where it hits, but pretty much right below my wrist, same spot too.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 07:27:56 pm »
That's because of the stretch in the string. Dacron and linen have some stretch so on recoil they go a bit farther forward onto your arm. One of the many reasons I use Fast Flight Plus :D

If you intend to shoot heavier weight bows or longer range, a straighter arm is prefered- fewer variables. If you're just hunting at close range under 20-25 yards then bending your elbow gets both your arm out of the string's way and your shirt and coat sometimes too. That can really be a help if you hunt when it's cold.

Offline boo

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 12:25:06 am »
If its after the shot then id say you are doing nothing wrong. Or, like me, your style of grip is the cause. Just where a small arm guard.
Boo