Author Topic: wierd point idea  (Read 2900 times)

Offline recurve shooter

wierd point idea
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:29:35 am »
hi guys. i was sitting there yesterday looking at the pile of little flakes between my feet and had an idea, and even think i remember seeing a pic of one like this somewhere before.

anyway, we all know how sharp those little flakes are, especially if you have obsidian. i thought it would do alot of dammage to embed some of those little razor blades into a hardwood or maby bone foreshaft. it wouldnt be legle for deer but it would do a number on a skwirl or rabbit. has anyone ever done it? pics?
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: wierd point idea
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:32:20 am »
There was a whole culture in Neolithic Europe who used microblade points like you describe, and they have been used elsewhere around most of the world at some point or another. James Parker (Robustus) used to make (and probably still does) antler points with imbedded obsidian blades that were very effective.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:35:47 am »
cool, thanks. guess i'll shoot him a pm. thanks for the quick replie by the way. ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 03:07:46 pm »
there was an article in one of the backissues of PA that was all about primitive microblades.

Volume 5, Issue 4
45# at 27"

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 05:15:39 pm »
The Ancient Egyptians used such points on some arrows. They were called "transverse points" by archaeologists.
Living a dream...

Offline Postman

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 05:38:57 pm »
Just saw a show on natgeo channel describing these and showing hoew they were made. they found 2 foreshafts (atalatl darts?) in snow patches that are melting in Alaska. cool show.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA