Author Topic: ? on sinew  (Read 8981 times)

Offline riarcher

? on sinew
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:29:46 pm »
I've used the real stuff and was pleased with it in the past,,, but can be messy or PIA at times.

Artificial seems interesting, but all that I see I guess is waxed.
Is that a issue on arrows? I'd think so, but maybe not.  ???
Any real pros / cons on either?
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline DanaM

Re: ? on sinew
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:37:42 pm »
I hate artifical sinew, it looks so artifical, I use silk thread to wrap the butts of feathers or real sinew and there is no mess with the real stuff
if ya just take a piece, shove it in yer mouth and kinda chew it, that way it makes its own glue, works great :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 08:53:21 pm »
The waxed artificial stuff is better if you separate it into individual strands. I also pinch it between my finger nails and scrape the wax off of it. All in all if you have the real stuff use it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:07:33 pm »
I've used art sinew on arrows and sealed it with super glue. Usually you have to reseal it after a bit of use because if begins to fray. The real stuff works best and no glue is needed if you chew it first. When dry I seal it with pitch varnish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 09:12:24 pm »
 I don't use art sinew unless it's for a wall hanger. The real stuff is better. I just drag it through a bowl of warm water and squeegee it between two fingers with TB3 on them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 09:39:47 pm »
i used the artificial stuff on the last batch of arrows i made.  if you just use it whole, its no good.  splitting it works much better.  then i seal it up well. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 11:03:15 am »
Artificial sinew is just waxed nylon thread. Real sinew works much better, but the artificial stuff works ok, just looks artificial.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 11:13:48 am »
I have used buth and the real  stuff works much better.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 11:47:38 am »
If you don't have art sinew, dental floss is the same thing, only white. I keep a pack of unwaxed dental floss in my archery tool box for emergency repairs...and after a steak dinner around the campfire.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 12:03:07 pm »
I use real sinew, period.  It shrinks when it dries, which makes for a very strong wrapping.  When I wrap stone points onto my arrows it is the best thing to use.  I've used artificial sinew, but I just can't get it to hold as tight as real sinew. My stone points will always tend to wobble and work loose when I use artificial sinew, but not so with the real stuff. Also, the wax tends to make it slippery and it will loosen over time.  I've tried to pull the artificial stuff real tight when I wrap with it, but it still works itself loose.  If I'm making a crap arrow for someone else and they don't care about it, I'll use the fake stuff  just cause it's quicker...but it certainly isn't better.  For real hunting arrows that will hold up to the abuse of hunting conditions, real sinew is the way to go.   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 12:07:16 pm »
I also use only real sinew for points on hunting arrows. There is no substitute!

Great beginning to your series in PA Billy. Looking forward the the rest!!! 8)

Offline riarcher

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 12:41:21 pm »
Sounds like I have no need for the artificial.  ;D

Any ideas about what to do about the mess or PIA I sometimes find myself in with the real?

I really hate it when my beard and mustache stick together!!  :-\ (Shaving 'taint no option -  ;D) J/K
Worst than frozen buggers!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:49:41 pm by riarcher »
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 12:51:04 pm »
you guys are making me feel like im doing something wrong with using the fake stuff
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 01:07:44 pm »
The fake stuff works fine for tying on fletching, etc but for hunting points there is no substitute for the real deal. ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 04:22:03 pm »
The main advantage of the real stuff is what Billy said, it shrinks and tightens as it dries. Plus, it has its own glue in it. I've never noticed much of a mess or PIA with sinew, I just strip a thread off and pop it in my mouth for a few seconds, then pull it out and wrap it. And I'm usually pretty fuzzy-faced myself. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.