Author Topic: More cougars  (Read 15760 times)

Offline Keenan

More cougars
« on: March 03, 2007, 03:13:51 pm »
 We had two more sights inside the city limits last week. One was next to an elementry school in the morning while kids were out playing. The other in a subdivision. Well estanlished area, not even close to the forest. these are not cases of humans encroaching their territory but simply getting to be an over abundance of cougars.They are getting so populated that they are competeing for more territory and therefor coming more into develpoed areas.  Keenan
>From: "Amy Tolar"
>Reply-To:
>To: "Amy Tolar"
>Subject: FW: Taken in Joseph, Oregon
>Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 21:11:29 -0800
>
>
>
>
>Oh My!!!
>
>
>
>These were taken in Joseph, OR.
>
>
>
>These pictures were taken from this guy's kitchen onto his deck. The cat was
>watching his little kids playing on the kitchen floor. Seems there are more
>and more of these around since there has been a hunting ban using dogs to
>hunt them. Pretty soon everyone in Eastern Oregon will have their very own.
>It's just a matter of time before there is a life lost to one of these cats.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: More cougars
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 04:15:58 pm »
Actually, the pictures are real, BUT the story is getting to be one of those urban legends.  They were taken in Ladner, Wyoming about 3 years ago.  I have seen it as ND, Or, and Wa. However sightings in town are getting real common in those states that have banned the use of dogs to hunt them.  Colorado banned dogs for hunting bears about 12 years ago, and for the last 8 my sister has had at least 3 different bears in her yard on in Durango, and a couple of years it was 3-6 per night.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 05:37:54 pm »
 Thanks Justin, I wandered about the pics.Those were emailed to me this morning,by a friend that has alot of relatives over by Joseph.
  The other two sightings were here in Bend last week and made the local news again.  Keenan

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 07:29:32 pm »
I've had those same photos emailed to me several times over the last year, variously described as being taken in Michigan, North Dakota, Iowa, And Missouri.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 08:00:51 pm »
As far as Michigan goes here in in da Upper Peninsula cougar stories are easy to come by. Actual pictures NONE. Although DNR has finally admitted to the possibility of their existence ;D Then again we have wolves comin out of our ying yang devastating the deer herds. The good news they have been delisted, the bad news I doubt if the politicians will actually do anything to regulate their numbers. A friend of mine actually watched a pack of wolves pull down a healthy buck last deer season. So much for the rumor that they only kill the weak and diseased eh.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 07:24:21 am »
that'll wake you up in the morning!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 09:07:26 pm »
Gotta laugh about this, the wifey comes home from work today and says "I gotta show ya something" So she proceeds to show me these pics of the cougar and supossedly their from a small town 20 miles from us ;D ;D ;D So add the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to this cats travels. Man that cat wanders more than Gulliver.
Anyway I had to burst her bubble on this one.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Broken Arrow

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 08:50:58 pm »
If you guys have too many, send some to us here in NY.  I hear about them, but I've never saw one.  I think I saw some Scat.  Coulda been a bobcat or something.  I'm just not familiar with them enough to know (accept that it's the one you don't see that gets you ;)).  I think they've reintroduced wolves somewhere in the state, probably in the adirondacks.  Coyotes on the other hand are all over. 

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 12:35:11 am »
Cat, good bush meat! MMMMMM!!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill