Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 118866 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #1125 on: April 15, 2024, 09:41:53 am »
Good to see you getting something in the ground, they haven't planted at my place yet, they have sprayed and looks like a bomb went off,  :) guess he is doing soy beans this year, they usually do them later in the spring, if he was doing corn he would probably already have it in the ground, they usually try to get the corn in by the middle of April.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #1126 on: April 15, 2024, 01:33:01 pm »
Our local farmers put their soy bean and corn in about Mother's Day. As of now we haven't had a freeze in about 2 weeks but most farmers still wait til Mother's Day. Since we've been here, about 34 years now, we have had frost as late as Mat 15 but not for a few years. Our winters are getting shorter or at least have come earlier each year. An old local guy told me the other day..."we don't get winter any more just a cold snap around Christmas then an early spring".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1127 on: April 15, 2024, 03:03:43 pm »
I’m sure we will be getting more frost and probably more freeze yet to. Like Pat we get frost into mid May.

The sugar beets don’t mind.

The corn can take a frost. It will burn off the leaves above ground, but its growing point is below ground and it will grow back.

Soybeans don’t like the cold and their growing point is above ground. A frost can kill them.

Edible beans really don’t like cold. We want it to warm up before we plant them

The weather has been pretty decent. We had some nasty storms come through Friday and it was extremely windy.

Sunday was beautiful and our dogs enjoyed looking out the screen door window. They don’t miss anything.

I checked the beets I planted Thursday afternoon. They are just nicely sprouted.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1128 on: April 18, 2024, 04:51:01 pm »
I haven’t really been to the farm much the past two days. Took my wife to sugar doctor and she got a good report.

Today I had meeting.

Tuesday I scouted wheat. It’s starting to elongate and will be rapid vegetation stage now.

While I was scouting I came across a drone spreading a seed.

Then I looked at beets and they had a nice tap root system started.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1129 on: April 18, 2024, 04:54:57 pm »
The fields were just about dry enough to plant the rest of our beets, but it rained again. Supposed to rain tomorrow and in a few days again.

It won’t be an early spring anymore by the time we get back planting.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1130 on: April 24, 2024, 01:25:25 pm »
Was hoping to be planting sugar beets this morning but we got a quarter inch last night and it was snowing just a little this morning.

Wind is blowing hard again. Knocked down the Bald Eagles favorite tree stand. I really enjoyed watching them watch me from this old dead tree.

I did get everything mowed by my pond and the beach

Really hoping to get planting again

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1131 on: April 24, 2024, 01:27:31 pm »
Did work at “Firewood “ a little.

Firewood full draw

Offline chamookman

« Reply #1132 on: April 25, 2024, 04:30:52 am »
Bow looks  good to My Eyes ! Thats a Way Kewl spot You have on the Lake ! I'd always be Knee Deep wading and Casting for Smallmouth!!!!!  (=) Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.