Author Topic: Teaser for Richard Saffold  (Read 8959 times)

Rich Saffold

Re: Teaser for Richard Saffold
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 01:37:02 am »
Tim,

We can definatly do another trade. Osage like that will always keep me interested in getting more..

I always felt these woods could be a great mix, and I think we are going to see a renaissance of sorts with more bowyers getting outside the norm like Justin mentions..

I started shooting an Ipe/Ipe recurve today and its been real fun so far..

Keep the pics coming! The last osage/osage longbow I made from your wood has me feeling very confident about osage as a backing..

Rich

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 04:25:35 am »
Has anyone tried sinew backed ipe yet?  I'm thinking that might make a decent horn-free hornbow.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Grunt

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 09:59:02 am »
Really nice lines on that bow. I like it. I also have a Argentina Osage/ Boo ready for glue up. Was getting the first high brace a bear? Maybe it's me but I find on a reflexed bow that first high brace sometimes takes a man, a boy, and a mule.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 10:22:55 am »
i got to know how you cut your osage to use as a backing!!?????  Also if that were my bow i would continue to work on the last half of each limb to finish out the tiller.  thats a great looking bow.  that combo or osage and blk walnut always makes me think of Charlie brown for some reason.  I haven't tried ipe yet but really need to.

Offline Timo

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 10:24:12 am »
Grunt, I made me an adjustable press that I can clamp to a table,(looks like a compound bow press) I use a big quicky clamp to clamp down the handle. Once I get it clamped down I can just hook on my string. This jig works well for also seeing how well the limbs bend(together) before ever stressing any wood,the same effect as floor tillering,only you are not stressing one limb over the other.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 03:23:59 pm »
Very nice bow. Did you resaw the osage yourself? Bookmarked under February Laminates for BOM, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Grunt

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 06:36:36 pm »
Grunt, I made me an adjustable press that I can clamp to a table,(looks like a compound bow press) I use a big quicky clamp to clamp down the handle. Once I get it clamped down I can just hook on my string. This jig works well for also seeing how well the limbs bend(together) before ever stressing any wood,the same effect as floor tillering,only you are not stressing one limb over the other.

I sure would like to see a picture of your press. Don't know what a compound bow press looks like.

Offline Timo

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 06:38:43 pm »
I had some osage logged last year and took it to a mill to reduce it into 2"boards. AIr dried it and  did all the resawing myself. Got lots of slats to work with. With the right equipment anything is possible.

OldBow, this bow isn't finished yet so ya might should wait until we see if this thing holds together? :o

Grunt, I'll try to get some pic this afternoon.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 07:54:51 pm »
Tim, that's looking great. Interesting combo, looks like it's gonna be a wicked bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 11:27:21 pm »
Grunt here are a couple pics of what I use early tillering and bracing heavy bows.

The base can be about any length, I just clamp it down to fit my bow length. The uprights are 12"  long set on a 22.5 degree. I made it to help me build bows after a hernia surgery. It has helped me alot with getting bows to close tiller without ever bracing them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Grunt

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 12:33:00 am »
Timo, thanks a bunch for the photos. I'll be building one like it tomorrow. Nice thing about this site is folks willing to share.
Thanks again

Offline Postman

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 10:11:04 am »
Neat setup...might this also be used (with the belly side down ) to put  reflex in while pointing the heat gun up at the belly?
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 12:51:45 pm »
Looking good,that should be sweet. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 01:04:51 pm »
  Timo, that looks like it's gonna be a real Rocket launcher. I need to get into all that Ipe I've got
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

DCM4

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 03:43:01 pm »
Love the jig.  Marc has a similar setup, sans the smelly tube socks.  ;-)