Author Topic: Ice Fishing Eh  (Read 15769 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Ice Fishing Eh
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 09:18:55 pm »
I'm heading to Milwaukee to go ice fishing for the first time next weekend!  This should be interesting- a southern redneck used to fishing in the warm Gulf waters - ice fishing....
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 11:17:38 pm »
 Jeff, when the Canadians in Alberta were going to take me, they were having an ice house delivered and set up, warmed to 80 dgs. and a camera that was near the bait that would turn 360 dg's. When you watched the bait being swallowed on the screen, you set the hook. Now, that wouldn't be bad for a southern boy. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 07:58:58 am »
Wayne, mom always boiled em with bay leaves and then we ate em like lobster dipped in butter, we mostly called em lawyers ;)
So a thing on tv that hake is the new cod and what get in yer fish sticks and fish patties, but they are also getting over fished so they are looking at burbot as another source.

Jeff have fun ice fishing and stay on top of the ice eh ;D

Eddie I have a portable shack and marcum sonar unit ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 05:54:36 pm »

Thanks Dana, if I catch any in Montana I will have to try that.  I have never caught any, or seen any, but they are in the regulations book.  It is funny, that there is no minimum size limit, just a maximum. ???  In the streams, I think it is 14 or 15 inches, I am not sure, but in the lakes, there is no maximum.  Down here they have screwed up the fishing so bad, it is ridiculous. >:(  They now have required you to have a salt water license to fish any body of salt water, on land, or pier, not just boat, like before. :(  Also, just about every species of fish that live in the ocean, now has a certain, size, and limit, from minimum to maximum.  ::) They have completely destroyed the snook fishing >:(  I think it is now from 28" from tip of the tail, squeezed together to the tip of the snout to 34" max, and you can only keep two.  ??? There are "school" snook, that normally don't reach 28", that are very plentiful in the inlets.  Needless to say, if you are going to be law abiding, they don't make it easy on you :(  I just quit fishing.  >:( I will be in Montana, shortly, and I can fish all I want, without such Draconian measures.  Plus the Montana Fish, Parks, and Wildlife, commission have a modicum of common sense unlike the Florida Game and Fish commission down here.  Next they will want you to use rubber hooks, so you don't hurt the fishies!  Our hunting Regs, and game management is not exactly great either.  I will miss the ocean, and fishing it, but what are you going to do, you have to be a marine biologist to recognize each species, and any variance of each species of fish, this one can be this long, but not this one, which looks just like it, but has an extra caudal fin, etc.  Nah, they can pack their salt water license, and regulations, ......well you can figure out the rest.  ;) Thinking about moving down to sunny Fla.  If you don't mind crowds, and silly regs, and don't like to hunt or fish, and don't mind high, and rising taxes, then, this is the place for you. ;)
It just keeps getting more and more silly. :(  Thanks for the recipe. :)

Wayne

Offline Gordon

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 06:56:53 pm »
Dana, those Cisco's look like squaw fish in Montana.  They don't eat them, and use them for bait.  Not exactly supposed to......
There is another name they are using now, politically correct horse poop!  It's a Squaw fish!  Like the Goliath Grouper.  As far as I can remember they were called Jew fish.  I hate it when they nuts, with the touchy feelly name changing .  If they want to change a fish's name, how about Scrod?!  It sounds like a part I don't want to eat!  But anyway Dana, looks like a fun day fer a bunch of Yoopers hey?

Those are not squawfish (also referred to as pikeminnows), they are a type of whitefish, which are related to grayling and trout. Squawfish do not have an adipose fin (the small fleshy fin on the back just in front of the tail) nor do they have a small head with a delicate mouth. I used to catch the Rocky Mountain variety when I lived in Alberta and can atest that they are both excellent sport and eating. A lot of folks around here (Pacific NW) think whitefish are trash - they probably mistake them for squawfish...
Gordon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 09:01:44 pm »
Heck call em what ya want but their dang good eating ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI