Author Topic: symetrical or assymetrical??  (Read 4623 times)

Offline mox1968

symetrical or assymetrical??
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:47:42 pm »
so what are your opinions on this subject,was reading in the bowyers bible design chapter symetrical is best but i see a lot of posts showing upper limbs longer than lower so WHAT ACTUALLY IS BEST??would be interested to see what your opinions are??

Offline Timo

Re: symetrical or assymetrical??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:37:16 am »
I started the popcorn for this one....:)

I guess I'll start: I have made many both ways. Seems to me that on straight limbed/straight forward,no nonsence self bows,A shorter bottom limb handles,and just feels better in the hand upon release.(at least to me)

On recurves or on bows with flipped tips,symmetrical limbs handle better. I rack my brain trying figure it all out, and have never came up with solid proof to justify saying one way or another.  ie/ all things being equal, (as we all know they are not)

One thing overlooked by many is limb timing,regardless of how you lay out your limbs, push yourself to get them even.For those just starting out, I would advise symmetrical limbs and as their experience advances, build some with asymmetrical limbs. It's how we learn.

I can tell you that the best shooting bow I have is a straight limbed 58" with a 1" shorter bottom limb.

Open the gates boys!:)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:43:52 am »
I used to make asymmetrical bows but now I build them symmetrical. Makes seeing tillering easier for me. I think either way works fine.
  Tim, I like butter and a little cayenne!   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:47:02 am »
I make mine symetrical. The math is easier on the symetrical kind. And that is all I have to say on the matter.  :-X
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:50:08 am »
I make em Both Ways...aint neither one my Favorite....and I hate Popcorn...of any kind........... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 01:19:01 am »
The last bow I finished was a take down straight limbed bow that the bottom limb was one inch shorter than the top limb.  I tried to tiller it on my tree but I never could see the tiller correctly... I ended up tillering it with a mirror and drawing it by hand...  It shoots great though.. But so do my symmetrical bows...   ???

I like Oriville Redenbockers pour over cheddar popcorn, you know the kind that has the liquid cheese packet?  If you haven't tried it I highly reccomend it guys.   ;)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 01:38:20 am »
I've found that I can break both symmetrical and non-symmetrical bows.

Popcorn?  How about beer and oreos.  Yum!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 03:17:24 am »
My Strongest and most Accurate Bow that I have ever built is an Asymtemtrical Osage Bow...with the Bottom Limb being two inches shorter than the Top....Full Draw Pictures look different...but man that Puppy can toss an Arrow!!

Don't care for Beer either....but I sure like Bourbon....and....Nutter Nuttter Butter Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies....but not necessarily together.... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 11:19:48 am »
Popcorn?  How about beer and oreos.  Yum!

The Breakfast of Champions ;D

Never tried asymetrical, but isn't that done to compensate for nocking the arrow above center?
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 11:52:30 am »
Asymetrical bows balance nicer in the hand when carrying them - that's the only reason I build them that way.
Gordon

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 12:03:59 pm »
Every asymetrical limbed bow I ever made ended up with more set on the upper limb than the shorter lower limb which seems odd.... I prefer symetrical limbs myself.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 12:45:17 pm »
Been building them both ways, with good results both ways. Seems to me though that if my asymetrical has slightly stiffer bottom limb it shoots better, and on my symetrical bows if I keep the top limb slightly stiffer, seems better. I am probably wrong, but what the heck, I'm having fun.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 01:13:17 pm »
Dave, usualy you would want the lower limb to be stiffer on a symetrical bow and the limbs to be evenly tillered on a asymetrical bow.
That does sound strange.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Rich Saffold

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 01:24:12 pm »
Primarily symmetrical on straight bows, but non straight bow wood where the arrow shoots best is where the mark goes..

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »
Generally assymetrical since I make a lot of elbs.

Zenmonkeyman, beer and oreos together? Do you dunk 'em?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.