Author Topic: symetrical or assymetrical??  (Read 4624 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: symetrical or assymetrical??
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 05:09:23 pm »
What about two fingers below and one above?  Is asymmetry supposed to work better with the extra pull below the arrow?

Hrothgar, I've never dunked them.  And I know it's an odd-sounding choice, but it's one of those great combos like wine & cheese, strawberries & champagne, or surf & turf.  You have to try it to believe it.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 05:24:44 pm »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Steve Cover

• Archery is for Everybody!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »
Hi guys,

I've read the entire thread a couple of times and I'm confused... (I know, since the 2nd grade...)

Japanese bows are very unbalance for limb length, and they use a thumb hook to draw with.

My lack of understanding, is what is the advandage of a longer upper limb?

It it just a form of positive tiller accomplished differently than a stronger lower limb?

Any discussion would help me quite a bit. 

OOPs, almost forgot..... My vote goes for buttered popcorn....

Instead, of course, you can always dunk me in beer and throw me to the drunk chicks......(Much More Fun!!)

Thanks

Steve
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:07:41 pm by Steve Cover »
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Offline artcher1

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 10:05:43 pm »
Doctor said I have to cut back on the junk food so here goes nothing!

Mox, handle off set or longer/shorter limb is dependent on one's hand placement/grip, nothing more, nothing less. Design a bow for the way you grip 'em or grip a bow the way it was designed.

Still can't understand why the glass folks got all this stuff figured out and the selfbow community is still struggling with it. Like limb length, arrow pass/shelf placement and positive tiller. ART

Offline Steve Cover

• Archery is for Everybody!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 01:54:34 pm »
Reply to Eric,

Thanks for the PM.

I found your information quite helpful.

In the case of the uber long upper limbed Japanese bows, I thought that the reason might have been that it facilitated better control while on horseback.

Your discussion makes more sense and fills in a lot of gaps in my understanding.

Thanks,

PS, sorry for the delay in responding to you.
I seem to be having trouble with my profile.  The personal message box is missing.

I had to find your PM in my personal email account.

Take Care,

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW