Author Topic: Billets/ Riser question?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Billets/ Riser question?
« on: February 07, 2010, 05:28:25 pm »
I've got some stave offcuts that I don't want to abandon.  I'm thinking of carving a riser, then gluing the billets into a couple of shelves and giving them a good rawhide wrap to secure them permanently.  Sort of a non-takedownable takedown.

My question is about the billet length, my draw length, and the riser length.  The billets are too short to accommodate my long draw, and I'm wondering if putting them on a longer riser increases the safe draw length?  Thanks in advance!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Billets/ Riser question?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 07:38:49 pm »
Yes it can increase the safe drawlength. It comes down to string angle and a longer bow helps some. If you make the billets into limbs and use less of the wood to attach to the riser it will help. You could get some serious benefit by adding deflex in the riser then recurving or reflexing the limbs.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 08:42:40 pm »
man that sound like a whole lot of work!!  trust those risers take a long time to make relative to just making  a whole nother bow.  i don't like waste either but i try not to pack rat stuff.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:25:59 pm »
Here is a perfect example of what can be done. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,16727.0.html
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 02:02:16 am »
Thanks for the info, Justin.  I think I can make this work, but I was thinking more along the lines of whatever I can accomplish with a jacknife.   :P  I doubt if I could pull off a James Parker in my kitchen!

sulphur, I hear ya, but this isn't a job, it's just for fun.  If and when I post pictures of what I'm doing, you'll know what I mean.  You may even ask if I did it with rocks, and whether I'd sharpened my rocks in the last year.   ;D  Besides, it's just a side project while waiting for The Main Event to finish drying.

If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson