Author Topic: A failed attempt -- update  (Read 6104 times)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: A failed attempt
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 11:25:40 am »
Sometimes you just gotta laugh. I remember Milo posted pics of a nice static recurve once with the tips bent in opposite directions like Pat said. I'd try stringing it backward, too. Or kerf the tips and recurve them.
I'm with Hillbilly..

Offline Jesse

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 01:54:10 pm »
Im thinking stringing it the other way may not be best but I really have nothing to loose. The belly is pretty  cooked and Im afraid it might be short lived with a heavily heat tempered backing. Believe me I thought about it :) I didnt however think about kerfing the tips and reflexing. That sounds like another good thing to get some experience in even if it doesnt work out. I might just try that. Thanks  for the suggestions guys. If I dont kerf it I will just string it the other way and see if it can take it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:58:43 pm by Jesse-S »
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 04:37:36 pm »
Jesse, I think that is  worth trying to kerf and reflex the outer limbs especially if you can get a clean cut along the glue line..

Offline Jesse

Re: A failed attempt - trying something else with this now
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 11:12:31 pm »
Dont know if this was a good idea or a bad one. I decided to cut it in half down the middle and put it back together adding reflex. I cut it in half but had to sand a whole bunch to get it flat again. "might be a light weight now im not sure yet" you can see that the piece curving up was the original screw up side with a bunch of deflex. the one curving down was the fix. I can see now why it didnt work. The original deflex had a lot more power stored than the reflex I added. By cutting in half you can really tell. Well Im not going to be able to do much tillering on this when it comes out of the hot box because its bamboo on both sides. I just eyeballed the thickness taper and tried to get them close. I'll be surprised if the tiller is even close  :D.
Also I hope it doesnt come out twisted. It was already tapered straight from 1" to 3/8" tips so no room for error to adjust knocks. I strung it backwards instead of using a form. Hopefully that keeps the string down the center.  Stay tuned Im gonna take it out tomorrow.       
See how many times one bow can get messed up  ;D
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

Re: A failed attempt -- update
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 05:40:09 pm »
Well I was right that it is now a light weight/ youth bow ;D Tiller came out lousy but I can work on it a bit though the limbs are very thin already so I doubt I can get it the way I want. Hope I can get it straightened out enough to give it to a kid at least. One good thing is that it didnt take set. Here it is pulling a bit over 30# @ 25".

--Frank A. Clark

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 01:47:49 am »
...cut an inch off both limb tips and it will gain 10lbs...  then it will be around 49# @ 28"  if you add 3 lbs per inch of draw weight that is... ;)  -josh

ps the tiller doesn't look THAT bad to me...  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jesse

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 02:40:42 am »
Thanks Josh I might just cut it another inch or so. Im not sure if it will take it though. its 60"ntn right now with almost 13" non bending in the handle due to a long powerlam I put in when it was going to be a heavy longbow. That would make some mighty short limbs but it seems good so far and I have no attachment to this stick so if it breaks it wont bug me any. This is the first bamboo belly I have tried so I learned a lot from it so far and pushing it till the break/ heavy set point might give me some more knowledge. I just hope it blows on the tree if its gonna blow ;D. My guess is that it will  take a bunch of set if I cut it shorter and take it out to 28"
    --Frank A. Clark