Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4707448 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Life is good
« Reply #12930 on: December 01, 2015, 12:58:47 pm »
Thanks Pappy! Hey, post some pics of you ax handles. I need to make one for a double bladed ax head. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #12931 on: December 01, 2015, 06:44:45 pm »
   always glad to help pappy

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12932 on: December 02, 2015, 04:34:30 am »
I know you are Chucky  ;) :) Patrick I will post some pictures Monday. It's really not that hard if you just have patients which I am usually short on. The handle part ant bad, you can make it about anything you want but fitting the head is a little more precise. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #12933 on: December 02, 2015, 11:18:13 am »
Pappy, I'd love to see a build along on your axe handles. I pretty much have the layout figured out, the main question I have is the handles grain orientation in relation to strength.  Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12934 on: December 03, 2015, 03:49:54 am »
Fred the grain needs to run length wise on the handle, sort of like you want an arrow with as little run off as possible. :) I got some text yesterday from  Our good friend Tim Beach and DaveO . Tim sent me a picture of the Mule Deer he killed on the 1st of Dec. in South Dakota /very nice deer/not primitive but nice none the less. DaveO sent me one of His wife Debbie's buck killed with her smoke pole, congrats to both. ;) Seems Debbie just keeps upping Dave on the deer. ??? Must be the teacher. ;) ;D ;D Also a picture of the Ax handles I have been working on. The middle one is the one Chuck made for me the other 2 or mine. One Walnut and the other long one is Hickory. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otis

« Reply #12935 on: December 03, 2015, 07:11:09 am »
Good looking handles Pappy.  Nice buck that Tim got also.  Thanks for posting Debbie's picture.  She sure does enjoy her time in the woods.   I am blessed to have such a great wife that is
my best friend also.  She deserves a medal for putting up with me for almost 33 years that's for sure.  Again thanks.

David

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12936 on: December 03, 2015, 11:22:02 am »
That Apache helicopter didn't crash in the creek, did it Pap?  Couldn't have been too far...
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12937 on: December 03, 2015, 03:11:37 pm »
Only a few miles/ like 5 or 6 and the funny thing is I heard them fly over my house, they do that all the time but that night it was really low and shook the house as it flew over. That hadn't happened since back when the war in the east was in full swing. Jimmy's command use to do it regular . At least a few times a week flying the kayawa's . Very sad to hear, really makes you realize what them folks do for us. God bless um.  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12938 on: December 04, 2015, 04:08:05 am »
Man them helicopters was flying low and all around last night, guess they were checking the area out or just flying over to see where the crash happened, :-\ all I know is they were everywhere.Well it's Friday and I am really looking forward to the weekend. I plan on some more shop time and also hope to hunt a little. Been seeing a lot of deer but it is really tough this time of year to get them in my comfort zone.  ??? Leaves are down and the woods are open ,rut is same as over so that makes it tough. :) I have a couple of bows that need to go on the form and also 1 more ax handle to make, also have a knife handle project in the works so I am sure I will find something to do. Hope yall have a good one. See ya Monday. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12939 on: December 04, 2015, 09:22:53 am »
Always sad to hear the loss of life.

It was good to see the Scotts the other week.  No deer for us but we did see quite a bit on a 30 acre place my buddy has over in Lebanon, TN.

I finally got my concrete slab poured around my workshop out back and the power is on.  It took a year but it is done and paid for!
I'm considering using the polyethylene sun shades they sell at Wally World as a simple solution for an overhang instead of building a permanent roof.  Be easier for storms/hurricanes...

Hope everyone is well.  Enjoy the Holiday Season!
1’—>1’

Offline bubby

« Reply #12940 on: December 04, 2015, 10:59:06 am »
Parnell just make a pole frame and buy some of that sunscreen material they sell in bulk it stays cooler under that than a pop-up because it doesn't trap the heat
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12941 on: December 04, 2015, 02:44:41 pm »
Check landscape and nursery supply companies for shade cloth. You can get it in different degrees of shade.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12942 on: December 07, 2015, 04:10:22 am »
Man what a great weekend, I didn't do much hunting as the kids say now days I just wasn't feeling it. ;) :) I did have a couple of good morning hunts and a lot of time in the shop so enjoyed it greatly. Done some knife work/ax work and bow work, hard to beat that. ;) :) Here are some pictures of the fun. Finely got the ax I was working on like I wanted it, very nice fit. Chuck said he thought the handle was a little big for the head so I worked it down a bit, may take a little more before I put the finish on it. :-\
 Pappy
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:47:05 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12943 on: December 07, 2015, 04:12:32 am »
My Osage hammer I use for knocking the blades on and off. :) GregB showed up for some knife work. I think he has 10 or 12 in the works. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12944 on: December 07, 2015, 04:16:37 am »
More of Greg's blanks and a knife I am putting a handle on, a friend gave me the blade, he was going to throw it out ??? and the wood is some splatted Hickory I saved from some of the last fire wood we cut. Glad I did because it is beautiful wood for projects.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good