Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4694872 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Life is good
« Reply #13995 on: October 11, 2016, 09:07:59 am »
Well
weekend was great for getting some these doe off the farm and at my place. The Warf has made some headway on the year. Great weather for still hunting off ground with good early and late movement into the White Stands.

This is prolly the largest doe I have taken here in Tennessee. Just a giant which was about 8yrs old I rekon. She took two arrows. First hit point of elbow at 18yrs, second was right in sweet spot at 30yds. Darn thing was, she went and ran off the limestone bluff straight down 250ft at dark. Next morning I drove around to boat ramp on farm and she had fell almost right on it. Craziest thing.
She will provide plenty protein and nice long sinew from straps.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:13:46 am by Smag »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13996 on: October 11, 2016, 09:16:09 am »
Nice doe, congrats. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bubby

« Reply #13997 on: October 11, 2016, 12:01:58 pm »
Pappy i know you probably thought of it but on the collar i have there were differant controls for both noise and shock maybe the shock was turned all the way down? My catahula is #90 and at half strength it hits him hard
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13998 on: October 11, 2016, 10:19:36 pm »
I think you need to get a tracking collar so you can ride all over the County with an antenna out the window to find her. I was so happy when my Beagle ran away farther then what I was wanting to look for her. ;D
I have a Buddy I hunt deer every year and he runs them with some Walkers and two Beagles. You can never get the beaglesin the box when the Race is over. I've had too many Labs to deal with stupid dogs that don't listen. ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 10:25:19 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13999 on: October 12, 2016, 05:36:03 am »
I hear ya Eddie, she came back but I am getting really tied of it that is for sure. All my cur dogs and lab I had never gave me any trouble at all. Had a great day in the stand yesterday, seen 2 bucks, one was my 7 point, had him at 4 or 5 yards but just never would come around the tree for a shot, needed only to take about 3 more steps but no cigar, the other was a 5point I think. Also got a picture from my trail cam, not sure what it is, a dog I suspect but the face looks really strange, see what yall think.? I do know if it come by me what is going to happen. :o Got lots of smaller bucks running around also. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14000 on: October 12, 2016, 07:14:23 am »
Sounds like a good hunt just the same Pappy. Always nice when your seeing them. I went out last night. Saw the same 2 young bucks sparring as I saw last week. They were just playing last week, last night things looked a bit more serious. They where really shoving each other around. Nobody got closer than 70 yards though so all I could do was watch.
That picture looks like a very skinny stray dog to me. I think the head is just moving. Maybe that's who Sally is running off with. At any rate I hope you get to take care of that problem. I don't know if wife will let me have another dog, but if I do I told her I want a cur. Everybody I know that has one loves em. Even their wives love em. Good Luck with your dog problems and Happy Hunting
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #14001 on: October 12, 2016, 11:02:12 am »
PAPPY HAS A CHUPACABRA!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14002 on: October 12, 2016, 11:50:51 am »
Pappy, I like a smart dog but just hate the ones that are smarter than me :o :( ;D  Bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14003 on: October 12, 2016, 10:54:23 pm »
I think a skinny, stray, bulldog.

Amaturhour beat me to the Chupacabra. :)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14004 on: October 13, 2016, 11:19:11 am »
It will be even skinner in a week or 2 if I get a shot at it, I mean it will look like skeleton.  >:D ;) :)
 I will be like Clint and save the jaw bones for knife handles.  ;) :)Same thing may happen to Sister if she don't straighten up. ;) :) Bob I am with you, I like smart dogs also but only when they are smart enough to listen to me and do what I say not when they are smart enough to do what every they want, It not a democracy around my place it's a dictatorship.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14005 on: October 14, 2016, 04:30:09 am »
Friday and headed to the cabin, plan on a little hunting and also some shop work, it is still hot here for this time of years so I may take a hunting break and just work around the shop. :-\ The deer are moving pretty good but just to warm to enjoy it much. ;)By the way BJ I seen where you took a buck, pictures would be nice, ??? congrats, nothing quite like your first self bow kill. ;) Hope yall have a good one, see ya Monday. Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14006 on: October 14, 2016, 09:51:14 am »
A guy at work asked me to run his beagles for him as he was a city guy. I took them in late Feb to a flooded backwater area to run swamp rabbits, the water was higher than normal.

The dogs struck and off they go out of hearing, about a half hour later I could hear them come back around about 75 yards away. Like I said, the water was high and all I could see was water between me and the dogs.

After a hours and hours of this I decided it was time to go home so I called the dogs when then came close again. Turns out they had never been trained to come in when called and off they go out of hearing again.

I had to catch them because they were borrowed dogs so I stripped off and hit the waist deep icy water to intercept them on their next pass. I did catch them but learned a valuable lesson; beagles are the dumbest dogs on the planet and I wouldn't own one for strictly a pet if someone held a gun to my head.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14007 on: October 14, 2016, 11:12:43 am »
Eric, when mine ran away I was a happy camper. I had someone call me a week later to tell me they had my dog and I told them I didn't own a dog.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Stoker

« Reply #14008 on: October 14, 2016, 07:22:29 pm »
Pappy I feel for ya on the beagle.. Sister had one gotta rule with a iron fist.. Maybe she'll turn out ok..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14009 on: October 17, 2016, 04:44:58 am »
Thanks for the thoughts on Sister, I will just have to deal with it. She done better this weekend, only ran off twice. ::) Had a great weekend, only hunted once and seen 1 doe, just to hot, so I am waiting for better more enjoyable weather. I did get another doe given to me by Doug a good friend and club member, shot Saturday morning so I have meat. ;) I done some bow work and knife work and had several friends drop by, so great weekend. Here are a few pictures. Will also made us a log splitter, it will split a 7 foot log, no pictures but will get some up in a few days, it should work great on Hickory, pretty cool, thanks Will, he can make about anything out of metal. ;) :) Osage bow on the R/D form.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good