Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4652626 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Life is good
« Reply #1545 on: May 12, 2008, 03:50:31 pm »
looks like yall had some fun, nice lookin pice of wood pappy. I was out fishing on LBL all weekend.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #1546 on: May 12, 2008, 05:56:22 pm »
Hey PA Gang.  Sorry I haven’t been on-line since visiting the Classic.  First of all I’d like to thank Pappy and the rest of the Twin Oaks club staff for their hospitality and generosity. 

Dad and I arrived on Friday afternoon and immediately ran into none other than Cowboy on the road coming in from the practice course.  I followed him to the “knappin” pile where he got me started on the right path to breaking rock.  I soon met DanaM, GregB, Knothead, Pappy, Hillbilly, SarahAnne, Dingleberry, Mullet, PatB, Calendargirl, Mini-C (Susannah), DTiller, Leapingbear, Ridgerunner, James Parker (he let me beat the crap out of my arm using his thumb ring and 80# horsebow) and several others.  Sorry if I missed your names not to mention several of your spouses. I also met many nice folks that aren’t part of the PA Forum; at least that I could tell.  One in particular was John Thomas.  He sat down with me and walked me through knapping step by step and gave tons of great advice.  He also handed me his tools, asked me if I was going to be there the next day, and said “We’ll do some more tomorrow, give my tools to Mark (Pappy) if I don’t make it back tomorrow”. Thanks John. 

I got to break lots of rocks, shoot Flu-Flu’s at flying disks, shoot the course, and learn lots and lots about arrow and bow making.  Dad, at the tender age of 79 has even decided that he wants to learn more about primitive archery.  I guess it’s never too late to learn a new skill.  He took lots of pictures and I’m going to try and post them soon. 

Thanks to all and hope to see ya’ll again next year.

Mike (Otoe Bow) and Gene Chase

PS:  Somehow I missed the PA photo op and didn’t get a chance to stick my pin in the Oklahoma map, but I did buy a shirt to prove to the wife I was there.   ;D
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #1547 on: May 12, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »
Hey Ya, Mike! Was a pleasure meeting you. Hope to spend more time next year beating on rock in the pit with ya. Though we may need to heat treat all that rock before we knapp on it next year.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #1548 on: May 12, 2008, 06:40:09 pm »
It was good meeting you too, Mike. And don't feel bad, me and Cowboy were out shooting and missed the pic, too. And Tiller, heat treating? what's that?  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #1549 on: May 12, 2008, 08:21:25 pm »
Yeah Ryan! You guys back east like to hurt yourself. I've seen it! Wacking yourselfs with small baseball bats in the vain attempt to flake some rock! Scary!!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #1550 on: May 12, 2008, 09:27:16 pm »
  Mike it was really nice meeting you and your dad. I had fun talking with him. Hope to see yall next year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #1551 on: May 12, 2008, 09:39:36 pm »
A few more pics

Here's Mike Chase(Otoe) in the knappin pit I think he slept there :)

BearG one of the infamous Ohio boys :o

Now we know who really built Marie's bow ::)

Shannon(Sawfiler) not sure if this was before or after the shine :P

Me and tiller whollywaheh Y'all best buddies fer sure :-*

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #1552 on: May 12, 2008, 11:54:34 pm »
And the pic's just keep pouring in, may keep going on till the next time ;D. Was good to meet you and your dad Mike (Otoe)! I didn't have much of a chance to teach any knapping with all the running around I was doing - just too much going on to cram into three days.
 I think that's after the shine Dana (poor sawfiler ;D). Let me look around, I think I have one of you cracker (almost smiling ;D).
 Found one of Hillbilly, wife Tina, and Johnathon (Dingleberry) working on a peice of mulberry for Barry don't remember last name - good folks all :).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #1553 on: May 13, 2008, 12:01:45 am »
Tiller, Dana, I think I was looking like that because the kids were burning saw dust and it was smoking like crazy........I really didnt get to out of it all weekend. Even with Shannons spring water.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cowboy

« Reply #1554 on: May 13, 2008, 12:04:55 am »
That mineral water makes ya do funny things that you don't remember Ryano ;D - just look at some of the pictures of me heh,heh :D :-X.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #1555 on: May 13, 2008, 12:07:34 am »
Don't kid your self Paul, I was learning plenty from all, (like don't pick up a rock directly in front of someone else's knappin bucket, especially if it looks damp....I gave up Redman some time ago, but may have to start again just to fit in  ;D).

Steve:  Looking forward to shooting with you guys next year.  I wasn't quite set up for competition this year.  Got behind and didn't feel I could knock one out for the SB Challenge until I get one or two under my belt.  As us OSU Cowboy fans always say to the Sooners, "Wait until next year",   ;)  

Eddie:  Dad sends his regard.  He really enjoyed the event.  Already talking about how we're going to work it in for next year.

Dana:  I didn't sleep there, (see reason given above), but I sure had fun.

Mike

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

« Reply #1556 on: May 13, 2008, 12:14:48 am »
 ;D ;D ;D - I actually was trying to aim between the rocks, hahaha..

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #1557 on: May 13, 2008, 03:21:37 am »
Guys, that picture of me was actually before the moonshine. A few hours later I don't think my eyes would open that far.  NEVER AGAIN ! (Or at least not till next year anyway)  ;) ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #1558 on: May 13, 2008, 04:14:09 am »
I enjoyed it in small quantities!  ::)

yes! I did!!!  ;D

David T

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1559 on: May 13, 2008, 06:59:20 am »
Mike it was a pleasure meeting you also and your Dad,I don't get near enough time to hang out at this thing,always seem to be on the move,but what time I do get I really cherish it.Maybe
someday I can retire and let the young guys take care of it and I can just visit.  :) ;)
Small amount Tiller  ??? ;D ;D maybe the second night. ;) I will have to say I don't think I have been around a better bunch of good time loving bunch of guys and gals,all so easy going and easy to
get to know.Anyone that don't do this just wouldn't understand. :) It's like we have known each other all our lives. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good