Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4650524 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #16395 on: January 27, 2019, 04:53:44 pm »
Took my regular couple mile hike around the farm and found a few more small ERC up rooted so I packed them back and turned them into Walking stick material . Waste not want not. ;) Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :) ;) ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16396 on: January 27, 2019, 08:03:45 pm »
Pappy, you are going to have as many walking sticks as you have knives...and axes.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16397 on: January 28, 2019, 12:59:36 am »
Lookin good Pappy  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16398 on: January 28, 2019, 05:51:24 am »
I know Pat, you know me, when i start on something I just can't stop myself, then I get tired of making something and move on for a while, I know it is a sickness. ::) ;) :) Thanks Bob, it is fixing to really get cold around here, bet the same for my Yankee buddies, stay warm, spring will be here before ya know it, at least it always has before. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16399 on: January 28, 2019, 06:31:50 am »
Pappy, 3 deg. here this morning , fixing to get cold later in the week :o (=) (S) Bob

Offline HH~

« Reply #16400 on: January 28, 2019, 01:19:55 pm »
Looks like I will not leave til Wed morning for the Piggies. Trouble getting outta Black Hills. Had Ice fog on I90 and it was really bad my buddy said. He stayed in his cousins cabin on the Missouri Yankton, SD last nite. Got so cold it froze the 5 gallon military jug that was insulated in cabin his cousin left him in the morning!

That Knife is outstanding. Bill did you a solid with that stuff. Like to find a 16" Horseshoe Rasp and do a full tang Bolo to match that knife! I really like that one with the chocolate horn.

That splice was fine. Just one clamp and its tighter than a Bill's Head band.

We eat some hog backstrap when I'm back.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16401 on: January 28, 2019, 06:14:06 pm »
I got one you can have Shawn, just remind me next time you are down. ;) Good luck on the piggy's, look forward to some back strap or any other part of a pig is OK also.  ;) :) except maybe the hoofs and snout, some say they are good also but not for me. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16402 on: January 28, 2019, 06:26:38 pm »
Got the other deer hide I had racked de haired today, man what a job, it had some freezer burn down the back and around the neck, I think in that area it was the toughest I have ever done, I brained 2 that had freezer burn and seen no ill effects in the way they turned out leather, but I can tell you one thing when I get all in my freezer [about 8 more] I am finding another way to store them unless I am getting on them really soon. Just way to much trouble getting the hair off with freezer burn. Seem the hair has set, and them areas after scrapping hair and fleshing are already leather. Anyone else seen this ???  Took about 3 hours to get hair off and get it right, usually takes maybe 45 minutes, if the rest are like this one I have my work cut out for me over the next few weeks. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16403 on: January 29, 2019, 06:25:17 am »
Pappy, I don't have enough freezer space for storage but I'm thinking freezer burn set the hair, maybe soak in water for a few days and wet scrape then frame to rawhide? I used to salt and roll up an store in 5 gal bucket, lately been fleshing and graining while fresh and then store as rawhide. Maybe just one that didn't get rolled up flesh side all in? Good Luck with the rest of them. Bob

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16404 on: January 29, 2019, 07:48:23 am »
Bob, you have plenty of freezer space lately. Actually DEEP freeze.  (S)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16405 on: January 29, 2019, 08:32:18 am »
Pat, were burning wood now. Wood pile is going down pretty fast. :( 18 right now and supposed to go down from here. Bob

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16406 on: January 29, 2019, 10:18:14 am »
Well, at least the snow cover will help insulate.   ::)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16407 on: January 29, 2019, 02:56:12 pm »
Thanks Bob, I managed to get it off but man it was a job, Fleshing and graining ant that big a deal and easier when fresh I think, don't know why I don't do it on all of them when I get them, just lazy and it's hunting season , so just don't take the time. Yep cold here also, single digit tonight and 24 for high tomorrow, worked on breaking one today in the inside shop [little better out of the wind at least ]  and made a hike looking for punk wood to start doing some smoking, found a pretty good bunch, just need to bring it out of the woods, may do that tomorrow. O forgot tomorrow is Margaret Ann Wednesday, ;) :) so maybe Thursday.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16408 on: February 01, 2019, 05:24:53 am »
Friday again ???  and headed to the cabin for the weekend. Got lots of hide work going on and we are having our annual TwinOaks Squirrel hunt Saturday, that is always fun, don't really need a reason to get in the woods but this will make me stay out longer. The weather has finely changed for the good, rain this morning but looks like it will be pretty tomorrow and almost 60 so the squirrel's should be out and about. Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16409 on: February 01, 2019, 07:42:24 pm »
Told you already about my freezer burn problem. I did what Bob said and wet scraped it. I haven't had time to brain it yet.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?