Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609469 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #16995 on: December 05, 2019, 04:06:23 am »
Good luck Dave, ya I had a great day in the woods, seen a couple of does and a spike maybe 40 yards but it was just a beautiful morning and then get home to Margaret Ann is always a blessing. You are welcome Chief, let me know what you think. I am headed to the wood in a little bit before the bad weather hits again Friday, today looks to be beautiful here in Tennessee,not so much next week. :o
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otis

« Reply #16996 on: December 05, 2019, 09:04:26 am »
I got done early at work today.  Headed to the stand here in a couple of hours for an evening sit.  It's gorgeous here today.  Clear and sunny with a 30 degree temp. right now.  Suppose to get up in the low 40's.  Regardless if any deer are sighted I'll enjoy the day.

David

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #16997 on: December 05, 2019, 09:53:49 am »
Hey Pappy. These were accidentally tenderloins, not backstrapes. I went ahead with the marinade anyway cause I had some chicken to cook also. They won't sit overnight but I will cook them over coals. I'll post the results this evening. I will try the backstraps next time.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #16998 on: December 06, 2019, 05:36:22 am »
Well, tasty but even these were tough. I did something wrong in handling I am sure. I did not think I could mess up the inside tenderloins but I have done it. I should have let them age a bit before freezing. What do you think, Pappy, or others.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #16999 on: December 06, 2019, 05:40:10 am »
I did not men to hijack the thread. Great recipe Pappy. I will be more attentive of details in the future.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #17000 on: December 06, 2019, 07:13:17 am »
Maybe pound the little suckers before wrapping them. but those look very very tasty!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17001 on: December 06, 2019, 08:02:22 am »
If your deer was in rigor mortis when you cut it up everything will be tough. I learned this when I picked up a road killed fawn I saw hit by a car in from of me. I was in Tn, took it directly to Bama and cut it up, it was as stiff as a board. Toughest deer I ever ate, it might have weighed 30# field dressed.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #17002 on: December 06, 2019, 09:10:48 am »
If this issue persists with this deer, I will be tenderizing before cooking or using a cooking method that makes it tender. Pounding will be used for sure. I dressed this deer on site. They are all pretty stiff when I butcher parts before taking it to a processor where it ages at temperature for  few days before butchering. The rigor thing makes some since. Thanks Deerslayer and Eric

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #17003 on: December 06, 2019, 09:11:43 am »
OOps. I meant Deerhunter.

Offline HH~

« Reply #17004 on: December 07, 2019, 08:40:22 am »
Yep if your pour the heat to any deer meat it will get tough. It also continues to cook a bunch after its been off heat. I always take that into consideration.

The other thing I have found , deer meat must be eaten while warm if it rests til cool it tightens up a great deal. When serving it it is the last to go on serving plate. All sides are hot a ready to serve. Then, deer steak or loin is served to its desired level of color. also if you cut a deer lion to check color it will release all the moisture in that section making it dry by time it on plate and eaten.

I like mine cooked 1/8th" on each side then 1/8th" pink and the middle still running thru the brambles.

try this some time take a lion steak 1 3/4" thick cook it as above and take it off heat. Put it on plate then in just a few minutes there after cut it. It'll be medium rare.

I know most you fella's know this as you eat plenty wild deer/elk etc.

looks good to me either way RID

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline paulc

« Reply #17005 on: December 07, 2019, 05:43:57 pm »
I cook all mine long and slow, low heat. And I usually add some kind of extra moisture like a can of tomatoes or something....fwiw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17006 on: December 08, 2019, 04:03:49 pm »
Not sure why they were tough Chief, most time inner loin if cut across grain will melt in your mouth. :-\ Great weekend, took a break from hunting to work on some things in the shop and help Brandon process a deer. Got a knife project all finished except the sealing and a good start on some hides, also cooler cleaned and turned off for the winter and just some general clean up. Few pictures. ;)Jesse on fire detail, a Blade laid out, worked down and ready to re temper.  :) It is from an old worn out horse rasp. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17007 on: December 08, 2019, 04:06:55 pm »
Scrapping of 4 hides in the works, I put some cross hatches in them to help the dry quicker once the sun comes out, and 2 ready for the brains, Jess and I plan on working on them over the next few days. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17008 on: December 08, 2019, 04:12:09 pm »
Jesse cooking brains, one of my large hides almost finished, Shawn skinning and boning his buck, I helped him skin it because I wanted the hide to tan, so mostly done with fist and pulling, very little knife work except around the legs . Blade all tempered and ready for clean up. The new forge worked great, had in non magnetic in 4 or 5 minutes. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17009 on: December 08, 2019, 04:14:22 pm »
Hides in the brains, then just some hanging out and waiting. Knife blade all cleaned up and handle being fitted. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good