Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4630947 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life is good
« Reply #17025 on: December 13, 2019, 02:50:24 pm »
I'm thinking that looks more like you than Si, Pappy.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #17026 on: December 14, 2019, 09:57:57 pm »
got off of work, looked at this and smiled! life is freakin good. v (=)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17027 on: December 15, 2019, 04:35:30 pm »
Great weekend, wet and cool but got a lot done in the shop. Here are a few pictures. Got another big hide in the rack and a couple of x's scrapped in it to help it dry quicker, also got one out of the brains and working on stretching and drying, it was really tough with the weather, got it mostly dry but it is now wrapped up tight in a bag in the fridge, arms gave out. ;) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17028 on: December 15, 2019, 04:42:26 pm »
Got 1 hide finished scrapping and another almost done before the weather made me have to stop. So I decided to work on the big Hickory we cut back in August, Shawn/Bill and I spit and got into Stave size about 15 and I did another 15 or so later that day,so we have about 30 Pig nut Hickory ready to lay out and probably 15 more when we get all the logs split and to size.  :)Wasn't to wet or cold for that. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17029 on: December 15, 2019, 04:45:55 pm »
My girls didn't stay far from the fire. Shawn working on a BIG knife project. Jesse and his son Alex showed up and I let Alex shoot some with the 22, he really seemed to enjoy that. Good kid and fits in well around all us red necks. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17030 on: December 15, 2019, 04:51:26 pm »
My x boss's son killed a really large buck, about 180 lbs and didn't want the hide so I skinned it and gave it to Jesse, he is doing a fine job on it, one of the biggest hides I have seen. Jesse decided to put it back in the rack after braining to break it, it was so big and hard to handle, It worked out very well, first time I had seen it done that way and will probably try it on some of my bigger hides.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17031 on: December 15, 2019, 04:59:29 pm »
Shawn got his knife well on it's way and Jesse got the hide almost ready for smoke, both projects turned out really well. Jesse in about 5 11 so you can see it was a big hide. Like I said great weekend. And by the way BJ I don;t think that doll looks anything like me, :o  and Pearl that is a great Idea about the sippy cup, I may just do that and yes DH21  Life is Good.  :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:02:51 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17032 on: December 16, 2019, 06:16:30 am »
Stormy,windy and warn here right now so I am just waiting the storm out and working on my Christmas Letters. :) All this is supposed to change this evening and old man winter is coming back hard. I guess like most places if you don't like the weather just give it a day our so and it will change. :) Sure seems to do that a lot in Tennessee. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #17033 on: December 16, 2019, 09:54:16 am »
Pappy, how does that "X" help it dry faster? Doesn't look like it would do much :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17034 on: December 16, 2019, 02:33:11 pm »
It just lets the air get to the skin better , especially helps when the hair is really thick with the winter coat such as these I have been working on lately. It really helps, they will dry in a couple of day if the sun shines with the x's cut, without it take 4 or 5 days to get dry enough to scrape. As it dries I will cut more in the dry areas to speed up the process. :) To be honest this is a bad time of the year in Tennessee to do hides, I usually start them in Jan/Feb when it is low humidity and usually clear and cool but My good friend Jesse after being gone for 7 years is back and he just couldn't wait, so I jumped in also. You also have to remember I work outside so that makes a big difference dealing with the weather. :)I am constantly dragging the racks under the roof and when the sun shines back outside in the sun. O well ,retired and nothing better to do I suppose. ;) :) :) I love doing them but I can tell you it is a labor of love because it is a lot of hard work, I have a lot of people that want to do theirs until they do 1 and that usually winds them up. ;) :) some don't even finish 1 before they throw in the towel. ::)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17035 on: December 16, 2019, 07:56:42 pm »
Pappy, hides lookin good and looks like Jesse got him a really nice big hide. Bob

Offline HH~

« Reply #17036 on: December 17, 2019, 07:05:21 am »
Them some premium Pig Nut staves. Be some lucky feller's get their hands on those during the Classic 2020!

Went out before the heavens opened up on us. Saw plenty deer feeding on green right before dark. Now small drainages and creek are blow'd out. Your pond go to full as its ever been.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17037 on: December 17, 2019, 02:19:03 pm »
Yep Shawn , checked it this morning , it is at the spill way, a lot of rain for sure , plan on given the deer another chance to die in the morning if I don’t change my mind. Cold and wind out of the WNW at about 5 or 6 they say. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #17038 on: December 17, 2019, 05:01:04 pm »
Yes, i gotta go to Appt at 0730. Deer are out tonite walking in open!

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17039 on: December 18, 2019, 04:34:43 am »
Ya I seen a bunch moving yesterday after the flood  :), headed out this morning, 22 and wind NW changing to the West so should be fun. Going to hunt till about 9am and then back home for Margaret Ann Wednesday !!!  so should be a good day. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good