Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4633198 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #17610 on: September 17, 2020, 04:15:43 am »
Finely got my pictures down loaded and resized, I have quite a few that I will share over the next few days, I can almost smell the pines and fresh air as I look through them. Just beautiful country, we was in the White river forest near Marvine lakes, 40 miles east of Meeker right on the Wy. border.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17611 on: September 17, 2020, 04:18:29 am »
Lots of creeks to cross which presented a challenge, most time we just stripped our boots and rolled up our paints legs, on some I used garbage bags taped above the knee, that worked pretty well but the bags would only make one crossing. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17612 on: September 17, 2020, 04:21:04 am »
This was Marvine creek, lots of good fishing in it, kind of tough to get to but Beau managed.He caught several Brook trout but not as good as he did in 2018 at White river. :)Lots of chip monks, them things were everywhere. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17613 on: September 17, 2020, 04:23:43 am »
Man it is big country for a Tennessee boy, you see something you want to go to and just take off, looks like a short walk , but it ant. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17614 on: September 17, 2020, 04:28:30 am »
Lots of small lakes around and good hunting around all of them, I have been 3 times and this was the first time I really felt like I was elk hunting, we was into them every day. :) Now getting 20 yards or so of them is a different story, the closest I came was 45 yards of a cow, wide open but just to far for me, on the other hand Beau had some really close encounters, 8 yards on a nice bull but we all know lots of things have to come together, not just distance. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17615 on: September 17, 2020, 04:30:43 am »
Like I said lots of creeks, parks and timber. :)Some fairly flat ground [relatively] and lots of steep climbs. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17616 on: September 17, 2020, 04:32:32 am »
This is a beautiful little town, surrounded by the mountains.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17617 on: September 17, 2020, 04:37:48 am »
Breakfast before heading up in the mountains. First day up the season wasn't open some we did some hiking to the lakes, 4 1/2 miles to Slide lake and then another 2 1/2 to the twin Marvine lakes, it was well worth the effort.  :)Slide lake was small but full of fish, Beau caught a few there, Marvine lakes and very large and lay right at the edge of the Flat tops. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17618 on: September 17, 2020, 04:40:00 am »
Marvine lakes and then the Flat tops. :) We had lunch there. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17619 on: September 17, 2020, 04:44:10 am »
Our spike camp above Slide lake, it was about 4 1/2 miles in and lots of parks and dark timber. I had a small tent and Beau had is Hammock tent set up, worked out very good, we stayed there 4 days ten back to base camp for a shower and warm cot and supper.  :)
 PAPPY
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17620 on: September 17, 2020, 05:00:57 am »
First evening in a blind, no Elk or Mule deer but did see a cow Moose with a calf, very cool, them things a big. Took this picture at about 35 yards. Later that evening I saw some ears in the tall grass in the park, I decided to make a stalk as it was getting close to dark, I thought it was Mule deer's ears I was seeing, made a good stalk but turns out it was the Moose Calf's ears I seen, needless to say mama was close and she didn't like me being between her and her calf at all, guess I was lucky all she did was huff and run into the timber with the calf. :-[ ;) :) The next evening Beau walked up 20 yards on bull Mosses and he also wasn't happy with him being so close, he huffed/pawed the ground and racked his antlers on the aspens all around, Beau did get a picture but vacated the area in a really fast walk. We seen a few mule deer and several Elk in that area but mostly Moose so we decided to go to base camp and hunt Muskrat lake area which was only about 2 1/2 miles from base camp so we could hike in in the morning, had to get up early to get there by daylight, took about an hour and a half to hike in. The weather had turned cold/wet and snowy so hunting out of base camp helped us keep our self and stuff drier. ;) :) I will post some more picture tomorrow, now off the celebrate my Birth day/9/17/1952/ 68 years young today about noon Mama told me. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17621 on: September 17, 2020, 05:13:55 am »
Happy Birthday Pappy. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #17622 on: September 17, 2020, 06:09:37 am »
Looks like it be good elk country to me. I ran around CO in the 1980’s a bunch even out east. Was fond of the western slope up past Glennwood. Elk were thick there then. Some ranches let ya bow hunt. Guy i served with was from Montrose so we hunted up in that area a few times.

The pictures got my blood going for my Trip just west of the Sawtooth coming up fAst!!

Thanks

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Otis

« Reply #17623 on: September 17, 2020, 06:49:12 am »
Happy Birthday Pappy!!!  Great pictures.  Glad you guys had a good time and made it home safely.  Looking forward to hearing the stories in person.

David

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17624 on: September 17, 2020, 07:16:58 am »
Pappy, My old stompin grounds were not to far from there, hunted for 10 yrs over at Southfork of the white river , the flat tops are some big beautiful country. I can smell that piney big country air. Brings back alot of good memories. Bob