Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609309 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Life is good
« Reply #17640 on: September 19, 2020, 09:23:45 pm »
Looks like that was an adventure!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #17641 on: September 19, 2020, 10:10:23 pm »
Thanks for the pics, Pappy!  Looks like a great time, and a great kid to come home to.  :)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #17642 on: September 20, 2020, 06:07:19 am »
Mice are always a problem out west. They are very pesky. Bring yer traps cuz unless you have a big rat snake you bring with you they will get into everything. Fox and coyote live on those little warm furry pop-tarts. Give ya the Hanta if you lettem get all over your stuff in the dry dusty conditions!

Got to love getting your first 2020 snow out the way in early September!!!

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17643 on: September 20, 2020, 06:33:55 am »
For some reason we only had Chip Monks in our camp just across the lane, they didn't bother much, but the guys from CA. had mice and like you said they got into every thing, even got into their packs, They thinned them for sure. ;)  Yes it was another great adventure, only down side was no camp fires, that stunk but understandable and the worst thing was I lost my neck knife Kevin H. gave me several years ago  :'( I loved that knife and wore it every where, not sure what happened, maybe the lanyard broke and I didn't notice on some of the climbs or hikes, any way I have lots of neck knives but that one was special and my favorite. :(  Hope someone finds it and make good use of it, I miss it already. Yall have a good one, headed to Church and will for sure give thanks for the great adventure. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17644 on: September 20, 2020, 12:43:54 pm »
Looks like a great time and happy you and Beau got to do it again. Beautiful country, Kathie and I used to spend almost every weekend Jeeping the FlatTops looking for caves to go in.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17645 on: September 23, 2020, 05:23:15 am »
It was a good time Eddie, the area we are in their is no motorized vehicles allowed, so all foot or horse back. Nothing worse than to pack way back in and have someone come putting up on a 4 wheeler at day light. :) Well still in quest for White oaks or persimmons, hiked and scouter about 4 miles Monday in search, lots of looking and glassing trees, nothing but red oaks, headed across the road on the west side of the farm this morning to search. We have sparse years but I can usually find at least some and that is where you want to be early season, not sure this year, :-\  may have to depend on just browse and what corn is left in the fields, used trails and edges. ;) Anyway, it is always fun to just get out and walk the farm, it's like out treasure hunting, never know what you might find.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #17646 on: September 23, 2020, 05:51:03 am »
 Warm days for Sat Sundays opening weekend then. . . .40 degree mornings during the first week is purty un heard of. Very good weather to find and arrow a good deer early while he is travelling. Almost be worth for guys working to take those 40 degree morning half days off. Not often in Sept we get those temps. Kinda thought it would be a much cooler fall than last year. Opening day time highs last year was 89 but they did harvest some nice animals. To hot for me. I kinda like early fall weather!

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17647 on: September 23, 2020, 08:13:55 am »
Not much on west side of road either for mass crop, except red oak, they will be good a little later. Seen 5 deer close to some of my evening stands, about 7:300/8:00 , all were in the corn. Don’t like hunting the edge of fields in the morning but may have to if he don’t cut the corn soon. Pappy 
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #17648 on: September 24, 2020, 06:06:40 am »
Yep, corn is coming out everywhere. This rain yesterday and today all but assures its not coming out opening weekend!

Been seeing lots of deer moving from thick areas and heading to beans or standing corn. I think that hilltop plot with persimmons will do mighty fine! We get some wind that point oak will have some large green marbles laying in wide open gor those long legged acorn thieves.

Good luck on opener. We all need just a little every time we head to the woods.  Hope you get take the slack out the string at first light my friend. Shoot straight.

Shawn~

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #17649 on: September 25, 2020, 03:53:30 am »
Sounds like you will be hunting after all. Congrats!!

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #17650 on: September 25, 2020, 03:54:24 am »
Wrong post. Sorry.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17651 on: September 25, 2020, 05:38:59 am »
Yep Chief if the Good Lord lets me live till morning I will be out for sure, haven't missed an opening day of Bow season in 45 years, do plan on Missing tomorrow. I am headed to the cabin for some final prep,some shooting and just relaxing. Bill is having a nap in also over the weekend at the Club [a first so we will see how that goes] and the last leg of the TwinOaks White tail Classic is this weekend,awards at 9pm Sunday night. Lots of cooking , fellowship, stories and hopefully seeing  some deer checked in. it should be a fun busy weekend. Hope yall have a good weekend also. Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17652 on: September 25, 2020, 06:58:49 am »
Pappy , sounds like ya got a great weekend ahead of ya, sure wished it wasn"t a 10 plus hr drive, Tell Bill I'm sure missing the knapin  and bs with all the other knappers. Bob

Offline BrianS

« Reply #17653 on: September 25, 2020, 01:02:45 pm »
I debated on where to post this but decided on the Life is Good thread. I opened the mailbox today and found August / September Primitive Archer magazine. Sat down at Lunch and started to read it. What a wonderful article that Kevin wrote about Pappy. I may never met Pappy in person but I am still inspired by him and the going-ons at Twin Oaks. Kevin GOOD writing about a GOOD Guy!
Take care Everyone,
brian

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17654 on: September 28, 2020, 05:28:08 pm »
Thanks Brian, that was nice of Kevin. :) What a great weekend, the Knapp in went good for the first, several vendors and 35 or 40 knappers. Good people and we had a great time. The Deer Classic went well also, deer was a little slow , thought it would be wide open with the weather.We check in 13 deer, 4 on the Traditional side and 9 on the Compound side. 4 bucks and 9 doe. I was blessed to take a doe but wasn't enough to win, I shot pretty bad on the course side of the event so had some serious catching up to do. ??? I also started a new Yew bow, made some head way on it Friday but got pretty busy the rest of the weekend. :) Going to be busy this week also. Had 4 deer given to me and with mine that's 5 to process this week. Got 3 skinned/boned and in the cooler today and plan on the other 2 tomorrow, so not hunting for me for a few days. Here are a few pictures of the fun. My girls waiting in anticipation of opening day and fresh meat. Yew bow almost floor tillered, it is short for I usually make, 59 t-t so about 57 N-N.  :-\
 Pappy

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 05:51:16 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good