Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4610045 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: Life is good
« Reply #17760 on: November 23, 2020, 11:13:14 pm »
Pappy, I always look forward to your posts on this thread. That place you got there seems real special. A gathering place of folks to just be happy doing what they enjoy and helping each other. I am certain many cherished memories have been made and friendships forged there. Thanks for bringing us along.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17761 on: November 24, 2020, 04:20:13 am »
You are welcome Morgan, yes a lot have come and gone through there, always seem to be some new ones come along with the excitement and wanting to learn, that's what keeps me doing it, some come and stay and some come and go, as I have said many times, this stuff ant for everyone but for some it becomes a big part of their life. Exciting morning yesterday, seen several deer, close encounters with a couple but just couldn't put it together, Bucks are still chasing so you never know what might happen next,!!!!! headed back this morning to see if things will come together today, well worth the time in the woods either way. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #17762 on: November 25, 2020, 05:12:23 pm »
Good hard nosed determination on the 8pt Papp. A man that's harvested as many whitetails with selfbow as yourself knows when a buck is mortally wounded. Woods and Jungle work is Hard Work.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17763 on: November 26, 2020, 03:57:26 am »
 Thanks Shawn,Ya I feel very blessed to have found him, he went about 400 yards but as you said I knew he was dead, just a matter of putting in the time and boot work to find him. Not sure I would say I deserved him but I can say I earned him. Story and pictures in a day or so. Headed out this morning with Beau for our annual Thanks Giving day hunt.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17764 on: November 26, 2020, 04:37:46 pm »
What a day and a half I had Tuesday and Wednesday, I was hunting in a stand near a big thicket I had made several years ago while doing some timbering, it is always a good spot when the bucks are rutting, they travel the edges looking for does, I saw a small 3 or 4 point early and had him a 12/15 yards but couldn't get a shot he moved on and about 45 minutes later he came back by but still no shot. as yall know I ant a trophy hunter, An hour or so went by and a fat little 8 point came in, he fooled around for a few minutes and finely gave me a shot at about 12 yards. Elevation was good but I knew I was a little back, about 2 ribs as it turned out from the back. I was thinking liver which is not a bad shot most of the time. I gave he 45 minutes after he went out of sight 75/80 yards from me. I eased down and looked for blood and about 10 yards from where I shot him was very good dark blood, liver for sure. I back out and went to the cabin and changed cloth and gave he a couple hours, I figured he was dead just out from where I last saw him. I went back in and picked up the blood, found the broad head end of the arrow in just a few yards and good blood trail, found the feather end at about 50 yards and both were covered in blood but after I found the feather end the blood slowed. I stayed on the trail and bumped him at about 150 yards so I backed out again and gave him 4 more hours,I went back to where he had bedded and found little blood to track. I didn't want to use sister because I didn't want to push him off the farm. I gridded off the area and cover all I could , put 6 miles on my boots back and forth 200 yards in each direction back and forth across the ridges and thickets. I just couldn't give up because I knew he was dead or going to be so I stayed at it till after dark.My rule of thumb is if the hit is behind the shoulder and in front of the hind quarter 4 inches up from the belly and a couple inches below the back bone the deer is dead, then it is just a matter of finding him and I knew this shot fit that. I got up early Wednesday before daylight and had about given up hope but as I read my morning devotional I read Philippians 3:13 amazing how that works, [great words to live by religious or not] and was all I needed to carry on so I decided to cover some ground I hadn't covered before, an old swamp pond area and a huge gully line that separates my farm from the next.This was 400 yards from where I had shot him. I covered the pond with no luck then went to the gully line. I had been within 25 yards of it the evening before but it is so deep I couldn't see the bottom and worn out so I didn't walk it, it was my last resort, I put another 2 miles on my boots that day and had decided if he wasn't there I had done all I could do and he had headed for parts unknown. As I entered the gully it was to deep to walk so I walked the edge so I could see the bottom and the ridge on the other side, I hadn't went 30 yards and there he was in the bottom of it. Man what a day. Now the work began, I had a lot of trouble just getting down to him, it is 14/15 feet deep and 20 foot across and almost straight up and down. I got to him by sliding down, I checked him out and he was fine,the night was cool and he probable hadn't died till late so I filed dressed him and then had to decide how I was going to get him out, I could have used some help but had no one around, so I decide I could do it my self, that how I roll most of the time anyway so not much difference. :) I went and got my Kobota and worked it down through the thicket above the gully, cutting a few small trees and moving some logs, when I got fairly close I run out the winch, cable wasn't long enough go all the way, I had a chain and short strap, I hooked all that together and like a mountain climber I use it to go back down to him, then hooked him up and use the cable to climb back up where I could work the wench, I have a remote for the wench so I plugged it up and started winching him up and out, he hung up a few time and I would work him free but all in all it worked like a champ. I got him out the backed the Kobota up close as I could and finely got him loaded, to the cabin I went, hosed him out and weight him and put him in the cooler. 120 lbs 8 point ,Man what a day, as i said before I ant sure anyone deserves a deer but I will say I worked hard for this one.It has been a tough year in lots of way for lots of people and I feel very blessed to have had the energy and want to to see this one through. It was a liver shot just as I though , bottom lobe, I have seen deer hit there not go 50 yards and others go a long way, this one went a long way, Around 400 yards total, that don't seem that far until you run out of blood and he could have gone 200 or 300 yards in any direction in the wood , thicket/hills and gully lines then that becomes a long long way. ??? I have a few pictures, the first is when I first saw him, the 2nd is down in the gully with him and the 3rd is winching him out. Sorry for the long winded story but some may enjoy reading it. Yep Life is Good. ;) :) :) Pappy
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:45:15 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #17765 on: November 26, 2020, 04:53:49 pm »
Pappy, Great write up on your hunt. One to remember that is for sure. Congratulations on the deer.
Happy Thanksgiving
Brian

Offline HH~

« Reply #17766 on: November 26, 2020, 05:43:37 pm »
Wow, that was an adventure!

He taste extra good in the skillet thinking how he made you work for him.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17767 on: November 26, 2020, 08:56:30 pm »
Pappy , sounds like ya had a great couple of days, I really like your attitude on not giving up. Never give up when ya know ya made a killing shot. Did ya ever thing about  skinning them out in the woods, debone and pack them out, A friend of mine shot one this year and went down over the mountain  about 500 yds in a steep ravine, He ended up packing it out and all ended well, I bet you will sleep good that nite except for those ole leg cramps sneakin in. Sounds like ya had a plan an exacuted on it.  Good Job. Bob

Offline chamookman

« Reply #17768 on: November 27, 2020, 02:13:39 am »
Great story Pappy - way to hang in there  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17769 on: November 27, 2020, 05:40:19 am »
 Thanks guys and yes it is one to remember, guess that's what memories are made of. :) Ya I thought about that Bob , Shawn does that now and then but I am not sure I could have brought it out in pieces , :-\  had trouble getting myself out with nothing on my back. ;) :) Ya I slept good the night after I found him, not so good the night before. ;) My legs are still in pretty good shape from my trip to CO. this year so no leg cramps, thank goodness. ;) :) Headed down this morning to skin and bone him out and then just relax from hunting for a few days, got a couple of bows that need to be finished and now a hide to flesh. ??? Hope yall have a great weekend . Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17770 on: November 27, 2020, 08:31:02 am »
A hard earned and well deserved finally, Pappy. Way to stick with it to the end.  :OK  I enjoyed reading your adventure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17771 on: November 29, 2020, 02:16:37 pm »
Thanks Pat , it was and adventure for sure. Great weekend, done some hunting but also a lot around the shop. Had several come by and we all stayed busy on different projects. Love seeing the shop active . ;) Here are a few pictures. My buck, 120 lb 8 point, shot with an Osage hollow limb
self bow, 50@26, PO cedar shaft fletched with wild Turkey feathers Ace 160 head. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17772 on: November 29, 2020, 02:21:55 pm »
 Sally keeping guard.  :)Dan took a nice spike with his Widow, his first for the year. Mark still working on his RD Osage, he really puts the time in the finish work, wished I could be more like that. ;) :) Shawn helping out on some Hickory staves we plan on having ready for The Classic, we have over 50 dry/seasoned and ready to turn into bows.Pig nut Hickory.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17773 on: November 29, 2020, 02:25:11 pm »
Got my meat all taken care of,  the last thing is to take care of the rest, horns and hides and all the other goodies a deer supplies. :) By the way Sister loves hanging out by the fleshing poll. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17774 on: November 29, 2020, 02:31:01 pm »
The horns came from a buddy that know how I use this stuff, cut them off a buck dead on the Golf course the goes to all the time, nice to have good friends.  ;) :) :) Mark working on a tiller string and Dan working on an Osage bow he is making for a good friend of his. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good