Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4653946 times)

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Life is good
« Reply #1800 on: June 30, 2008, 07:30:17 pm »
Hay Pappy:
Thanks for having my son Forrest and me for the weekend.  Forrest had a blast.  He loves to shoot them targets.  On the way home he asked when we might be able to make it back up there?  I told him we would try to make it back up there once more before school starts back.  I apprecate You, Greg, Art and the other guys working with Forrest and his shooting.  I have yet to figure why he does that weird bend the wrist thing... ???

We found two tick each on us.  Seed tick at that.  We picked the off and flushed them.  I have three chiggers and few bumps of poisen ivy. ;)

I think I can save the little bow that mussed apart on the belly.  It will be a kids bow when finished.  Oh well,  I have made about 80 kids bows so one more
is not going to hurt.

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1801 on: July 01, 2008, 05:39:54 am »
Glad yall had a good time,and hope you can get back soon.Tell that boy to keep working
at it and he will be fine.I enjoyed yall's company.Ya Tiller we may not always do a lot but we do eat good. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #1802 on: July 01, 2008, 08:21:53 am »
David, Glad you and Forrest had a good time. He made a lot of improvement on his shooting in a short time, hope he keeps at it...that's what it takes. Thanks again for bringing the Dogbane, I was able to identify some Sunday when out cutting cane.

Jimmy, I shot my three cane arrows quite a bit yesterday afternoon and am learning more about them. One of them flew perfectly, and it is the straightest of the three. The other two flew good, but I could tell a difference in their grouping. I tried tweaking one of them afterwards at a node using heat and ended up snapping it into...ouch! Has anyone tried to salvage a cane arrow broken at the node by inserting a dowell into the two ends with glue, and then wrapping the joint with sinew? I thought about trying that, but am unsure how it will hold up, I don't want a cane arrow through my hand. ???
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline BearG

« Reply #1803 on: July 01, 2008, 02:49:56 pm »
Just 16 more days until I get to come back down.  Then life will be Good. ;D
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Ranger B

« Reply #1804 on: July 01, 2008, 02:50:36 pm »
I broke one sitting on the back porch the other day as well but it was far from being finished.  I just cut about 30 more river canes so I hope to get time to work on them this weekend.  I have then laying out sunning today.   They take a lot of time but I'm sure it will be quite rewarding if I can put a cane arrow / selfbow combo together for a kill this fall.  How many do you have made now?
Jimmy

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #1805 on: July 01, 2008, 03:11:30 pm »
You guys are all having fun as usual - and it's true "man has got to eat ;D". Ridgerunner you lucky dog! Living so close that you can just run up there for a weekend :P ;D. Looks like you and Forest had some quality time :).
 I've never tried to repair a broken cane before Greg, just moved on to the next one. That thought about it sticking out of your arm is incentive enough for me to chunk it :-X ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #1806 on: July 01, 2008, 05:07:14 pm »
Hey Jimmy:  I'm like you.  Right now I'm dreaming of a self bow, stone tipped cane arrow kill for this fall. I'm a long way off from making it happen, but I've got a little while yet.

Pappy:  Great post as always.  You've made my Tuesday. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #1807 on: July 01, 2008, 07:01:10 pm »
Yes Cowboy I am Lucky.
It is 176 miles from my house to Pappy's farm.  I wish it was only 6. ::)
But if it was I dont think the grass would ever get cut. :D
We made the trip on $72.00.  And that includes gas for my little car.
Going to try and make it back some day soon.

Life is good.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline BearG

« Reply #1808 on: July 01, 2008, 11:31:53 pm »
Pappy want to send Beau and ??? and wedding card but cant remember her name.  I know I met her in May.
thanks, Bear
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1809 on: July 02, 2008, 05:40:26 am »
Thanks guys,I am just glad I have some good friends to share it with.Bear her name is
Christina,I can remember it because it is my moms  and sisters middle name.  ;) :)
Greg I think Big A is splicing some ,ask him how that worked out,that would be about
the same thing. :) I got a dozen cleaned up and ready to start straightening last night
and also got a 1/2 dozen cedars selfnocks finished,stained and sealed and enough Turkey
feather ready to fletch.I should be ready by hunting season.I need to be bushhogging
but just can't quit working on bows and arrows. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #1810 on: July 02, 2008, 08:48:58 am »
Cowboy, about splicing that broke arrow...Sawfiler told me the same thing. I think I'll just save it to put on a trophy for the 2009 Self Bow Challenge.

Jimmy, I've only got two right now that I'm shooting. I didn't want to make up a bunch until I'd done some experimenting with them to see what works well. I've got another dozen straight and ready to cut to length and fletch. That doesn't take long, the straightening is the hard part. Got another dozen ready for round two of straightening...

I shot the two yesterday evening quite a bit and they flew great! I'm excited about using the cane this fall. Getting into making cane arrows has opened up another way for me to enjoy primitive archery. I highly recommend it! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #1811 on: July 02, 2008, 12:04:42 pm »
I too am dreaming of a primitive kill, self bow , cain arrow , stone point and a dogbane bow string, i got a bunch a DB in the mail the other day from Hillbilly and I've been working on the bow string the past 2 days and i am almost done, it should be finished by tonight. Than I'll start working on my arrows again, i only got 4 shootin arrows right now, been using my shed as a back stop and its put a hurten on my arrows, the cain will shoot through a 2x4 and not brake but good luck getting it out and keepin your field point on it.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1812 on: July 02, 2008, 12:36:01 pm »
You only need one Jesse.  ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1813 on: July 03, 2008, 07:02:03 am »
This is Friday for me,off the 4th. I am headed to the cabin this evening,probably be pretty peaceful
tonight and Friday.I am working on some Cain arrows and some cedar also so I hope to get them
a little futher along,also want to finely finish the tillering of my IW.If I am by myself I may get it done.I laid out some deer steaks and got some fresh corn ready to be cooked up for supper.
I won't be there Sat,got a wedding to go to,as most of yall know Beau is getting married Sat.
I will miss being down at the cabin but of course this is a big deal for me and Joanie,this is our only
child so it will be somewhat different with him gone.O well life goes on,I hope it is as good for
him as it has been for me. :) Hope yall have a big 4th and I will be back Monday.Life is good.
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #1814 on: July 03, 2008, 07:20:53 am »
Pappy, I'm sure you and Joanie are going to be some proud parents have fun at the wedding :) I'm sure you will have a few pictures to share eh ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI