Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4654166 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #18330 on: August 29, 2021, 04:38:26 pm »
Shawn showed up for some bow work, he done one limb at a time because of the spliced handle. I was running low on broad heads so I gathered up all the old broke arrows I usually hang up after they have done their job, wound up with 6 160 ace and 2 200's. That should hold me for the year. :) ;) Got a really cool tool that can be used to hold the head if you don't have it on an arrow to sharpen.  :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 05:01:56 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18331 on: August 29, 2021, 04:41:48 pm »
My first blade out of the quench and ready to clean up and temper, my second one in the fire to soften.  :) You can soften a file pretty easy this way, just get them to non magnetic and let cool slow and then you can work them with hand tools very easy. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18332 on: August 29, 2021, 04:43:47 pm »
My first blade all glued up and 2nd worked to shape and read to heat treat.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18333 on: August 29, 2021, 04:50:33 pm »
Stand made for my first knife, as I have said many time I don't do leather work. :) :) Got a call from Jim in Clevand tn. that I see often at the Classic he said he had some Osage cut in mid 90's by and old bow maker in his home town that was to old to do it any more and wanted a good home for it,  :)so I drove to Nashville to meet him, picked up 25 nice staves, looks pretty clean and straight , all 75 to 80 inches and no worm damage, and best of all the price was right. :) ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18334 on: August 29, 2021, 04:55:34 pm »
Saturday evening after the trip to Nashville I got my 2nd blade heat treated, tempered cleaned and etched and ready for the handle, just can't decide which one to use, :-\  I am parcel to Antler but the leg bone looks good also, guess I will decide this week.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18335 on: August 29, 2021, 04:59:13 pm »
Not sure where Sally was but sister is just resting and taking it all in. ;) :) Good times for sure. Hope yall had a good one also, looks like more bad weather coming in but not as bad as you folks down south, stay safe. :)  Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18336 on: August 29, 2021, 07:49:56 pm »
Time to batten down the hatches, Pappy. Looks like Ida will be coming right over you guys on Tuesday. Lots of water with this storm.   (W
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18337 on: August 30, 2021, 03:54:56 am »
Duck n Cover Pappy ! Thanks for sharing  (=) - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18338 on: August 30, 2021, 08:15:40 am »
Thanks Guys, looks like the worst might just go a bit east of us, I know we will get lots of rain but maybe not as much as we will if it moves a little more west as it move up. Anyway all is good we have seen lots of rain before and I am sure we will again.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #18339 on: September 01, 2021, 01:32:58 pm »
Hang tough, Pappy.  I always enjoy seeing what you and your friends are up to.  The other night I had a friend working with me in my garage on leather bow grips, a wheelie shooter who's thinking about coming away from the dark side.  Perhaps someday, I will approach Pappy level.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18340 on: September 03, 2021, 08:25:13 am »
No Pappy level here WB, I just do my thing and got lots of friends that have the same mind set, feel very blessed having this place and especially friends that love it as I do. ;)Headed down this morning to set the range for the last shoot of the year next Saturday [29th White tail Classic] it is a really laid bad shoot and lots of fun for all, 18 deer and 2 Turkey to get ready for the up coming season. I also have 1 more knife to try and finish up. ???  ;) :) Deer season is getting close so need to get all my bows and arrows checked out and ready to go. Beau is coming down in the morning early and we plan on some scouting and hope to put up at least a couple of stands for opening weekend, should be a fun day. :) Seems the white oaks have done well this year and also a good persimmon crop, that is what we concentrate on mostly in the early season. Still got corn standing but don't usually hunt that much until it is cut and later season when the tree crops are mostly gone, generally hunt in the woods on edges and thickets. ;) Hope yall have a good one also. Life is good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #18341 on: September 03, 2021, 10:59:56 am »
No Pappy level here WB, I just do my thing and got lots of friends that have the same mind set, feel very blessed having this place and especially friends that love it as I do. ;)

That's exactly what I'm talking about, Pappy.  Having some good skills, some friends to share those skills with, and a good place to do it.  That's the good life.  :)  Glad you share it with us, too.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18342 on: September 05, 2021, 04:22:21 pm »
Yep it is WB. :) :) Great weekend, had a good meeting Saturday and got the range set for this up coming Saturday's shoot, 18 deer and 2 Turkey all at good hunting shot range, it's a lot of fun and get to see friends that I only see at this once a year. Beau and I also got 4 stands set, they look very promising , 2 are close to some good white oaks dropping and 2 close to persimmons that should start dropping in the next week or so, prefect !!!! Never know how they will work out but if I was a betting man I would bet we will see some deer and get some shots, all we need to do is be patient and close the deal. :) Also got my latest knife all finished up and another in the works, Buck 112 is my very favorite knife that I have carried hunting for years, so I decided to make a fixed blade one with the same blade design.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18343 on: September 05, 2021, 04:25:02 pm »
Got it laid out and blade mostly finished, also handle laid out and fitted.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18344 on: September 05, 2021, 04:32:17 pm »
Got a new mill file for my knife work and it needed a appropriate handle, I had just the thing. Deer leg bone, prefect. ;) :) Had several friends over working on different projects, bows/knives and the young man working on shaping rock, ??? :-\ ;) :) he is not allowed to use the power grinder so he just loves the hand grinders I have.  :) They are slower but they work great, they were the cat's meow in their day around the turn of the century.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good