Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4654238 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #18345 on: September 05, 2021, 04:40:07 pm »
Processed some more deer toes for later projects and got all my hunting arrows out, checked out and sharpened and ready for the 25th of September  :), I have 8 sour wood shafts with trade points ready and about 18 PO cedar and spruce with 160 ace heads, that should get me through. ;) :) :) I have 4 self bows ready that I plan to hunt with and these arrows will shoot out of any of them so I just grab and go when I head out hunting. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18346 on: September 05, 2021, 04:45:51 pm »
Also took some time and got all my hunting clothes and gear out of the cedar chest in the cabin and hung on the porch, they will stay there until the season is over in early January , I dress on the porch before heading out. Hope yall had a good one also.
 Life is Good. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18347 on: September 06, 2021, 04:47:56 am »
Thanks Pappy  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18348 on: September 06, 2021, 08:49:24 am »
You bet Bob.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18349 on: September 07, 2021, 06:42:51 am »
Looks like your ready for hunting season Pappy.
Here too.I keep my hunting clothes in a plastic barrel filled with local sage and golden rod.They stay in there year round.Dress up outside too.Got 6 dogwoods with Ace 145 grain broadheads on them to be shot from 1 self bow through this season.
If I get 4 to 5 good shots through a season here I'm doing pretty good.I try to fill at least 2 tags.If I'm lucky maybe 3.
I try to shoot older deer though.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:46:17 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18350 on: September 07, 2021, 08:22:47 am »
Sounds good Ed, I am not really picky on what I shoot, I of course would rather have a bigger , older deer with huge rack but I am more of an opportunist and bird in the hand kind of guy so unless my freezer is full, pretty much anything that gives me a shot with the exception of one with spots get an arrow sent it's way. ;) :) Plus never really figured out to tell how old they are until I get them on the ground and then it is to late to matter. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18351 on: September 07, 2021, 08:35:20 am »
On a sad note those that come to the Classic will know Nancy and John that are always faithful at helping me out on the raffle table and very good friends of Miss Joanie and I , John pass yesterday evening, he is 82 and has struggled since last year, he had Covid about a year ago and although he got over it then he has never really been the same, had lots of up's and downs over the last year and yesterday the Good Lord took him home. I visited him Sunday evening and he said he was ready to go. Sad day, lost a very good man and very close old friend. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18352 on: September 07, 2021, 09:53:50 am »
Sounds good Ed, I am not really picky on what I shoot, I of course would rather have a bigger , older deer with huge rack but I am more of an opportunist and bird in the hand kind of guy so unless my freezer is full, pretty much anything that gives me a shot with the exception of one with spots get an arrow sent it's way. ;) :) Plus never really figured out to tell how old they are until I get them on the ground and then it is to late to matter. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
The large rack thing is not a priority with me either.I've been lucky enough here for it to happen a couple of times though as I'm sure anybody has that hunts long and hard enough.Old large does all get arrows sent their way.That means early born button bucks too as they are as large or larger as any older doe.
Aging deer from sight can be tricky especially does.It's the size like I said that usually tilts the scale in my decisions.
It's always a gamble letting deer walk by.The laws in Iowa do not subject hunters with rifles or shotguns to be able to hunt through the rutting season.1 reason why we have so many out of staters here in this state because their laws allow that to happen,and the reason why if I'm patient big deer will walk by.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18353 on: September 08, 2021, 08:56:11 am »
Ya Ed I stumble across a large racked one now and then, nice when it happens but not really a priority to me either. I am a meat hunter but also like a bigger hide so a big doe fits the bill when i get the chance, seem my problem is I would rather have a big doe but seems I always see younger bucks more than doe, at least the ones that give me a shot, I tell my buddies that all I am seeing is bucks, they laugh and say that's a good problem to have. ??? Well it ant if you can only kill 2 of them and does are the same as unlimited in my area, 2 bucks only for the year no matter what you hunt with but you can kill 3 doe a day from opening week through end of season.  :) It takes about 6 to feed me and Miss Joanie for the year [venison is about the only meat we eat]
6 deer will do it if I don't make brats and jerky if I do, and I usually do then it takes a few more.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18354 on: September 08, 2021, 10:29:31 am »
Sorry to hear about John's passing, Pappy. Please tell Nancy and know you and Miss Joanie are in our thoughts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18355 on: September 08, 2021, 01:34:27 pm »
Ya Ed I stumble across a large racked one now and then, nice when it happens but not really a priority to me either. I am a meat hunter but also like a bigger hide so a big doe fits the bill when i get the chance, seem my problem is I would rather have a big doe but seems I always see younger bucks more than doe, at least the ones that give me a shot, I tell my buddies that all I am seeing is bucks, they laugh and say that's a good problem to have. ??? Well it ant if you can only kill 2 of them and does are the same as unlimited in my area, 2 bucks only for the year no matter what you hunt with but you can kill 3 doe a day from opening week through end of season.  :) It takes about 6 to feed me and Miss Joanie for the year [venison is about the only meat we eat]
6 deer will do it if I don't make brats and jerky if I do, and I usually do then it takes a few more.  :)
 Pappy
Sounds like you get more tags for deer there.Here 1 buck and 3 does for a land owner.Thats' usually enough for us as we eat a lot of fish [bluegills] too.Cost is $36.00 for those 4 tags.Oh yea 1 turkey tag either sex in the fall.No buying of a hunting license either then.
Sorry to hear about your friend.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:37:18 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18356 on: September 08, 2021, 09:48:15 pm »
No cost for land owner here and yes we get a lot of tags, also 1 fall turkey and 3 in a the spring, of course all small game. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18357 on: September 09, 2021, 08:26:35 am »
Thanks Pat/Ed. He will be missed for sure.  :( Headed to the cabin early today for the weekend, got a lot of bush hogging trails to do and need to get it done before the season opens, hate wadding weeds to get to the stand. ;) :) Also got a few more projects to get finished up. Also the Target part of the 29th White tail Classic is Saturday,the 2nd half is opening weekend, ;) :) it is a laid back kind of shoot but still have to be on hand for registration.and instructions. ;)Beau and I plan on shooting it also Saturday so that will be fun for sure. Hope yall have a good one also.
 Life is Good.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18358 on: September 12, 2021, 06:32:12 pm »
Great weekend, got all my bush hogging done, a couple more stands set and ready and had time in the shop to finish up my last knife and a little work brain tanning, it was beautiful weather . Saturday we had the 29th White tail Classic and had a good turn out, 25 teams of 3 which is about normal then Saturday night we had the TwinOaks Bash, great meal and good friends, had about 40 show up, most of the members and family. Knife ready for sealing.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18359 on: September 12, 2021, 06:34:40 pm »
Al sealed up and ready to use, think I will also make a sheath for it and try it out this year field dressing deer, it is the same blade design as the Buck 112 that I love so much. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good