Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4609368 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #18600 on: January 16, 2022, 02:16:11 pm »
Got the sheathe finished for my latest neck knife, turned out OK for me. Also started a new Osage bow, this one has a lot of challenges, lots of humps/curves and some knots in the fad areas, after a careful lay out and a few tweaks with heat it is looking more hopeful. Also Jon gave me a nice piece of steel [ Damascus ] so I laid out another knife. :) Not a file like I usually use but some pretty steel just the same. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 02:25:25 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18601 on: January 16, 2022, 02:21:21 pm »
Got the knocks cut and the bow tweaked again and on the long string, it is almost ready for low brace, looking OK for now, the twists and humps will make this a challenge to tiller. You have to look long and careful to see just what it needs. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18602 on: January 16, 2022, 02:23:01 pm »
My girls just hanging out after a long wet day. Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18603 on: January 17, 2022, 03:08:09 am »
Now You need a .36 cal Flinter to Hunt those Tree Rats ! Thanks Pappy  (=). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18604 on: January 17, 2022, 08:46:01 am »
Ya Bob, I keep thinking on it but can't seem to pull the trigger.  :D ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18605 on: January 21, 2022, 09:06:15 am »
Headed to the cabin this morning for a few days, it is cold, snow and ice still hanging around, not supposed to get out of the low 30's today so that stuff ant going anywhere. I will spend time in the shop close to a good fire, ;) got a bow in the works and a couple more knives so should stay busy. We also have our first TwinOaks meeting for the new year tomorrow, be good to see some of the guys I haven't seen in a while and start making plans for the up coming shoots and of course we are already making plans for the Classic. I have got 30 vendors lined up already and getting lots of calls/emails and text so looks like everyone is ready to get out. :) Hope yall have a great weekend also. Life is Good.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18606 on: January 21, 2022, 02:20:28 pm »
I'll bring my Flintlock .62 cal/20 gauge smoothbore next time and let you try it, Pappy. It is a lot of fun hunting squirrels with it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18607 on: January 23, 2022, 07:02:57 pm »
Thanks Eddie, I have shot Matt's, a member of the club and loved it, just not sure if I want to spend what it takes to get a good one, all I need is another hobby. ???  ;) :) :) :) Great weekend, very cold for us but once you are in it for a while you get use to it. I got some work done in the shop and we had a good meeting Saturday and started making some plans for the up coming season and of course the Classic, got 30 vendors lined up already so should be able to fill any need, if I can find a place for them. :-\ ;) :) O I will fine a place. ;) a few pictures. Getting Hickory ready for the Classic, only going to have 15 or so , so I hope others show up with some like they usually do.Also another knife in the works.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18608 on: January 23, 2022, 07:08:10 pm »
Well the blade didn't go so well, the first I have done like this in a while, when I quenched it i got a slight warp, well dummy me try to straighten
really quick after the quench, I know better  ??? >:( and broke it at the tang, so I mopped around a while :(  and then started another. :) Put a nice neck roast on for supper and then got the handle fitted to my next knife. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18609 on: January 23, 2022, 07:16:43 pm »
Got my new blade heat treated and handle glued up, then decided to soften the blade I broke and see if I could salvage it, I softened it and cut a new blade a little shorted , left a 1 1/2 tang and plan on welding some length to it and move forward, waste not want not  :) :) Then as I said it was cold out so another big fire was in order for the afternoon. Late in afternoon I went in and watched my Titans get whooped, of course I got text from Brother Bear and Brother Dan form Cincinnati to rub salt in the wounds, nothing like good friends. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18610 on: January 23, 2022, 07:19:03 pm »
After the game I got my Osage to brace and noticed it wasn't tracking like I wanted so back to the form for another tweak, my girls stayed close to the fire. :) We are also making some head way on the wood pile, we will need 3 times this much to get us through the Classic and the year, got several trees down and a few to cut so we will get there if it will dry up a bit. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18611 on: January 23, 2022, 07:22:28 pm »
Got my bow off the form and it is looking much better and started a stand for my last knife. Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18612 on: January 23, 2022, 08:14:08 pm »
After Church today Miss Joanie and i was headed to visit a good friend, well on the way I was cruising down hwy 12 at about 55 mpg and at a cross road along the way a young girl at a cross road decided she didn't need to stop  ??? she pulled out just as I got about 20 feet from her, I didn't even have time to hit the brakes, just straight out, I seen her but she said she didn't see my, a Big white 2500 GMC and she didn't see it. Well I managed to swerve and hit her in the passenger rear door, small ford SUV, it knocked her off the road and stopped us dead in our tracks, all her side air bags went off but thank the Good Lord she and her young passenger wasn't hurt, just shook up a bit, Both air bags went off on my truck but again thank The Good Lord Miss Joanie and I wasn't hurt, busted the wind shield and of course the radiator/front grill/bumper and wrinkled the hood and jammed both doors, kind of sad, I loved that truck and I feel sure it is totaled,but we are good other than a sore chest where the air bag hit,and the girls are OK so I guess that is all that really matters. ;) Yep Life is challenging sometimes but still Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline paulc

« Reply #18613 on: January 23, 2022, 10:54:29 pm »
Glad everyone walked away ok.

Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18614 on: January 23, 2022, 11:40:26 pm »
Boy, I'm sure glad you and Miss Joanie are all right and no one was hurt. Sorry about your truck though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC