Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4652142 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #19545 on: July 02, 2023, 07:04:02 pm »
I took some time Friday to tune another 1/2 dozen arrows and then moved to prepping the kitchen for brat making Saturday. :) Over the years Beau and I have bought some pretty good equipment, we take care of it and it is really helpful when we process deer /other game and brat making. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19546 on: July 02, 2023, 07:06:15 pm »
The brat making went really quick, it really works good when you got 3 in the kitchen that know what to do. Made 385 total for Beau, Shawn and myself.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19547 on: July 02, 2023, 07:08:14 pm »
The grand kids showed up, they didn't help much in the kitchen but spent most of the day in the creek and just making me smile.  ;) ;) ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19548 on: July 02, 2023, 07:12:32 pm »
A bunch of my buddies showed up and just hung out in the shop, the kids love the fire and help cook some of the left over brat meat into burgers, Bob , one of out new member showed up and wanted to make a couple of bows for his girls, we got one out to 15@15 about right for the big girl and got another laid out for the littlest one. Got to love that.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19549 on: July 02, 2023, 07:15:25 pm »
After everyone left I went in and fried up me a couple of burgers for the meat I had left and watched a base ball game, slept well after a long day on my feet. ??? Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19550 on: July 03, 2023, 03:08:32 am »
Ya Aint makin', if Ya Aint breakin' Pappy  (--) ! That Creek, is a Kid Magnet. Thanks - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19551 on: July 03, 2023, 07:09:52 am »
You are right Bob, I can't say it don't bother me at all but nothing like it use to, If one breaks I just look it over to see if I can figure out why and then just move on, I tell these new guys "Don't fall in love with it until you have shot it hundreds of time, until then it is just a stick of wood "  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19552 on: July 09, 2023, 07:35:22 pm »
Slow weekend for pictures, it was roasting hot and spent most of the time getting the range and other stuff ready for our small critter shoot this coming Saturday, I did manage to break another bow. ??? :-[ ;) A lot of time under the fan for sure, My girls follow me on my early morning hikes, I done 3.5 mile Friday morning and they probably done 5 chasing everything that moved,so they were worn out. :) This bow has given me trouble from the very start and had issues that I was pretty sure wasn't going to make it, I got it tillered out to 44@26 and it was OK, had a lot of humps and side checks but still shot, I couldn't stand it and decided to do more, that was a mistake!!! Seems I was determined to break it and I SUCCEEDED  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19553 on: July 09, 2023, 07:42:00 pm »
I thought I would flip the tips, ??? just like the look and add a little weight, well that was all it could take, went boom on the form, good thing I ant in need of a bow. but after a minute and some home made brats all was good. That's 2 in a row, I will say I have been trying to clean out some of my old stuff that has been around for years and most is questionable wood so guess I shouldn't be surprised.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19554 on: July 09, 2023, 07:49:40 pm »
Got several guys in the club for some reason don't want to shoot wood anymore, so they been giving me arrows they made and no longer want to use, some beautiful arrows, I ant use to that  :) with a little adjustments and some trimming and tuning I am getting some really good arrows and pretty to boot, these were 50/55, I cut them to 29 and added a 160 field tip and they fly like darts/shoot great out of my latest RD bow and weigh in at 560/575 , prefect for my up coming elk hunt. Hope yall had a good one also, stay cool. ;) Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19555 on: July 10, 2023, 02:33:59 am »
Love Wood Arrows ! Those lumpy Staves can give You fits, I've had a couple or two do the same thing. Thanks for sharing Pappy  (=)! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19556 on: July 10, 2023, 07:15:50 am »
You are welcome Bob , Hope to see you at Elm Hall for a little visit. ;) :)
 Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19557 on: July 10, 2023, 08:21:20 am »
I have never had a side check stave make a good bow that would hold up. As hard as it is to turn what looks like a premo stave, except for the side checks, into tool handles or fire wood, I have found not using the wood for bows saves me a lot of work and grief in the end.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19558 on: July 11, 2023, 04:06:50 am »
I'm pretty sure, Bruce and I will be up for an "early" visit! Bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19559 on: July 11, 2023, 08:03:59 am »
Great Bob !!! Ya Eric I have had the same experience, I have managed to get a few good bows from some with side checks but I cleaned them up before lay out and then just went with what I had left to work with, these were laid out years ago and only had so much room for clean up, clearly didn't do a good job when I first cleaned them up and laid them out.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good